Post-function to run an SQL query (on the Linux server)

TSD Group April 10, 2017

Hi Colleagues,
Is there a way to start Linux script or etc. to run SQL query while transition?

Thank you in advance

With kind regards
Vyacheslav Starovoytov
TSD Group

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2017

Yes, there's an "excute" method you can use on strings, which is a bit inelegant, but a starting point.  For example "ls -l".execute()

But, you'll almost certainly be wanting to trap any output and probably store it if you're doing that, and that gets more complex.

You mention SQL as well - that's also possible, although I'd let the system do the work - if you have the right driver installed, groovy supports execution of SQL via that.

However, I'd want to ask "why"?  If your SQL is to be run on JIRA data, then there's actually a good chance that you should not be doing it at all.

TSD Group April 10, 2017

Hi, Nic,

Thanks for the support!

My case is:

On the SQL-server we have two DB: one is JIRA and other it is our own. My need is to insert/update data in our own database when issue is being moved or when there is a custom event.

Is there a way to not do it (e.g. with Groovy or etc.)?

Thanos Batagiannis _Adaptavist_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2017

Hey Vyacheslav

There is a similar example in the documentation -

Connecting to databases

regards,

Thanos

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2017

Yes, I'd use Thanos's example code to create a connection to the other database.

My fear (which happens too much) is that you might be trying to write to the JIRA database - don't ever do that.  Updating your other database from JIRA is fine (assuming it's not sensitive like JIRA rightly is)

TSD Group April 10, 2017

Ok, thanks Thanos and Nic!

I will try the link above and come back with reply!

Suggest an answer