Possible to restrict which JIRA projects are linked to Bitbucket?

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2016

Our use of Bitbucket is limited to two teams - IT & Marketing - while the majority of our software developers use open source git servers. We want to get the benefit of linking JIRA to Bitbucket for IT and Marketing but we don't want to confuse the other developers.

Is there any way of restricting which JIRA projects are linked to Bitbucket, so that the "Create branch" option is only available on IT and Marketing projects for example?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2016

This seems like an open issues- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-60354 , https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-38738

The only thing you can do right now is to remove the users of that project from the "Development tools" permissions in that project admin section but that would mean all development tools including build servers and git-repos , which I don't think you intend to do. Thus currently it doesn't seem possible to restrict  "create branch" based on project.

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2016

Thanks, @Tarun Sapra, for both the open issue link and the suggested solution.

In our setup, removing the development tool permission will work fine. None of the JIRA-supported tools are in use by our engineers so removing that permission won't hurt.

avinus1 October 18, 2016

That bug is not quite all that is needed. It is very confusing that a specific Bitbucket repo is linked to ALL of Jira, instead of to a specific project. As a new user, I'm very nervous about opening up my repo in this way...

Suggest an answer