Portfolio - "Keep As Reference" isn't persisting after adding story breakdowns to an epic

Joe Sylvester January 28, 2016

I'm hoping someone could shed some light on how the "Keep As Reference" functionality is intended to be used in Portfolio.

Here is how I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to use this feature:

• Created Epics
  • Added WAG estimates
  • Nailed the proposal and landed the project (yay us!)
  • Revisited the Epics with the Dev team to start the story breakdown and story estimates
  • Wanted to retain the original WAG estimate for the Epic so I chose "Keep As Reference" and the estimate is stored as "Originally Planned". Cool right? Well wait for it...
  • Added new stories with their estimates  to the epic and now I'm noting that the "Originally Planned" value is the summation of the new detailed estimates. 

Now I understand that I could simply add the original WAG as a note in the Epic description but I'm the sort that hates a mystery. Is this a bug? Am I just not using the feature correctly? Are you guys just messing with me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Joe 

1 answer

0 votes
Nicola Barton February 8, 2016

Hi @Joe Sylvester - did you figure this out? I came across this when trying to understand how it functions too.

Joe Sylvester February 8, 2016

Hey @Nicola Barton, 
Broken and discouraged, a hollow shell of a PO, I've resigned myself to simply adding the Original WAG as a note in the Epic... but I wish you luck! 

Suggest an answer