Portfolio Scheduling Not Possible with Skills Gap

Keith Mangold September 28, 2017

Fresh installation; new project; new portfolio plan.

I have 5 developers, some are frontend, some are backend. Some stories need one skill, some stories need both. I think I've associated the team correctly with their skills;

I think I've properly identified on each story how many days are needed for frontend and backend.

I have also organized the epics in priority order, along with the stories under them.

When I schedule, some stories have an error that "Scheduling not possible due to skill gaps." But the task right below it (which should be prioritized/scheduled first) doesn't have that issue. 

What am I doing wrong?

releases.pngschedule.pngscheduleoptions1.pngscheduleoptions2.pngschedulesettings.pngscope.pngscope-error.pngstages.pngteam.png

3 answers

1 vote
Jason Golden
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2017

Can you add two more screenshots, I think the answer may be there:

1) In Scope view, expand "Implementation" so we can confirm the front end and backend placeholders for each row.

2) Add Teams with Members and Sprints in the Scope view.

Thanks!

Jason Golden
Denver AUG Leader

0 votes
Jason Golden
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2017

Perfect, very helpful. I would have expected SC-50 to be auto-assigned to Joseph at a minimum, since SC-42 right below was assigned to Joseph based on the same backend skill. Yet, it's lower priority, so why is SC-50 not getting assigned to him first? One thing that looks suspicious is v1 being chosen as release on that row vs. scheduled like all other rows without the issue. Can you clear the release, recalculate, and see if that auto assigns Joseph to that issue?

I assume Nandini is not being assigned because they are full from items in SC-4 epic that are assigned to the same sprint, but a little hard to tell with the avatar icons instead of names. Maybe expand SC-4 epic if the issue persists and we'll keep troubleshooting.

-Jason Golden
Denver AUG Leader

0 votes
Keith Mangold October 3, 2017

Hi Jason,

Here is the Scope view expanded Implementation. I've made a bunch of changes in priorities and order of tasks since I posted initially... seems like a bunch of items have cleared up. But, some exceptions...

Imp1.png

imp2.png

Suggest an answer