• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Permissions: - We have Jira in-house and its working well, I want to give an external contractor access to it now, but limit what he sees just to the projects they are involved in. is this possible? and if so point me in the right direction.

Permissions: - We have Jira in-house and its working well, I want to give an external contractor access to it now, but limit what he sees just to the projects they are involved in. is this possible? and if so point me in the right direction.

Craig Edmondson May 1, 2016

Permissions: - We have Jira in-house and its working well, I want to give an external contractor access to it now, but limit what he sees just to the projects they are involved in. is this possible? and if so point me in the right direction.

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2016

There's a bit of work you usually need to do to unpick the defaults - these are quite open, and poorly designed for what you need to do

The default is to have a group called "JIRA users", which is used to say "people in this group can log in".  The problem then is that the group is, by default, added to all your projects in the role of "user", and the default permission scheme says "people in the role of users can see and use the project".  So everyone is a user.

To unpick this, you either:

1. Create a new group called something like "can log in", put everyone who is in jira-users into it, and replace "JIRA users" with it  in the "can log in permission" in the global permissions.  Then remove jira-users from all the roles that it has been added to, replacing it with individuals or other groups to allow your users back in.
  2. Create a new group called something like "external users" and add it to the "can log in permission" in the global permissions.  (Note that all new users will be added to this automatically from now on, but that shouldn't be a problem for your internal users).  Now add that to the role of "user" in the single project that should be seen by your external user(s).  You'll need to think about each new user you add though, to see if they should be in jira-users, external-users or both.

In both cases, you then make sure your external contractor is not in jira-users but is in external-users.

Suggest an answer