Permission setting question

Hyon Lim May 8, 2016

Hi,

I am pretty new to JIRA, so permission setting is really hard for me.

If anyone know the solution of following question, please let me know step-by-step instruction.

I would like to implement following permission structure.

1. Only a member who added to the project can see issues inside. No other member couldn't see inside. For example, if 10 members exist, only 3-4 members who added in the project can see the contents.

2. We have 3 administrators. If any administrator creates the project, notify to another administrators by e-mail.

3. If any member create an issue, or comment on issue, notify to specific user all time.

-Hyon

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2016

For point 1

You will need to un-pick the default setup for JIRA permissions here.  The problem is that the default is to have a group called "JIRA users" that is used to say "people who can log in and use JIRA".  That's fine in itself, but, in the default roles, it is used as a default user group as well.  So, every time you add a new project, the role of "user" has "JIRA users" added to it automatically.  The default permissions say "role of user can see the project", so the entire default system says "everyone who can log in can see every project".

So

remove the jira-users group from the default role of user

go through all your existing projects and remove the jira-users group from the role of user, but replace it with either the users or groups that you want to retain access for.  I'd also look to see if it's been used in other roles, and remove that as well

Once you have that done, then jira-users now means just "can log in", and won't creep into your projects

I would strongly recommend changing the permission scheme to explicitly say "browse: project lead" and "browse: role: administrators" as well - that way the owner of new project will be able to see it, and add their own users into the roles.
For point 2

JIRA doesn't have a function to send email at that point.  I think there addons that can do it, but admins can always see the full list of projects (even if they can't see the content), so for a team of 3, I'm not sure the emails are really that important.  Get them to talk to each other!  (Or, better, set up a JIRA Support project, with a "project" issue type and a dedicated workflow - users can request projects in there, admins pick up the request and assign it to themselves, create the project and tell the user that they've done it, and you can set up the emails in there to tell the other admins about it)

For point 3

Take a look at the notification scheme - I think you just need a little light editing in there.  There is one important point though - JIRA takes data security seriously - it will not send email to someone who cannot see the issue, so you can't notify people outside the project

Hyon Lim May 16, 2016

Hi, thank you for the explanation.

However, I don't know which menus you are talking about.

When I click the project, what I can see is "Project Settings", then go to "Permissions"

Then, I can only see "Permission scheme" which couldn't be edited project-by-project.

Hyon Lim May 16, 2016

Could you tell me exact menu that I should modify?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2016

You can have many permission schemes and use them for different projects.

From what you've said though, I don't think you have admin access - you need that to set up the different schemes and apply them to your projects.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events