Password expiration

Michael Schnitzler February 1, 2017

I know this question has been asked a lot. However, I'd like to know how other JIRA admins are dealing with the issue ...

My company has a policy of expiring passwords after 90 days. We're using Crowd as user directory to JIRA (v6.3).

Whenever a user's password has expired JIRA will simply reject the user's credentials. There's no hint that the password has expired and needs to be changed. Most other applications will show a form to force a password change - even Crowd does so, but JIRA doesn't.

This behaviour is a major impact to our JIRA's user acceptance. Although most people know that they simply have to click the "I forgot my password" link, it's always a cause for confusion and upset. I'm aware that there are some add-ons and scripts around that will notify users about password expiry. However, I'd like to refrain from adding third party add-ons and scripts as I've encountered compatibility issues in the past.

So, how are you dealing with password expiry at your company's JIRA?

Cheers

Michael

2 answers

1 vote
Bryan McMillan February 1, 2017

Hello,

I am sure that there are more solutions to this problem that you can count.  I have faces this most places I have worked.  Currently, the best solution I have used is to connect JIRA to Microsoft Active Directory.  The same MS AD instance that is used by the organization to log into their computer.  The passwords rules and management are then pushed to MS AD and you don't have to worry about expiring passwords, password rules, password complexities, and such.  The only downside is that some users will attempt to change their password via JIRA thinking that JIRA will change it and it does not if you set it up the way I have.  JIRA simply uses MS AD for authentication, nothing more.

Regards,

Bryan

Jutamat _Kate_ Phothisitthisak January 24, 2020

Integrate with AD is good for password policy but this issue still happens with Local/Service account as these account used by JIRA automation.

0 votes
Henry Auffahrt November 28, 2018

+1 We have exactly the same problems!

I found a feature request here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-34619

And also I found this Plugin but I´m not sure if this plugin will support an external user directory as well.

Suggest an answer