Pages in Confluence and JIRA not loading correctly in China

Anthony Wood March 6, 2017

Hi,

Our company's HQ is based in UK, which is where the Atlassian instance (Confluence + Jira) was initially set up. We are trying to use it from the China office, and 90% of the time the page does not load correctly.

I have reproduced the error using:

• IE and Chrome
  • My Own PC, Mobile, and Company PC
  • VPN - Work and my own
  • Personal Broadband, Work Broadband and Mobile internet connection
  • and every combination thereof

It appears that a number of Batch.js and Batch.css files are failing to load. These files appear to be coming from the Amazon Cloudfront CDN.

Other instances of Atlassian seem to be functioning well, for example I can load some pages no problem. Even though the pages reference Batch.css and batch.js and there are no network errors in the Chrome network Inspector tab. These files seem to be distributed through another CDN.

Not sure if this is related, but our team have noticed that it works better in the late afternoon (China time) - this is around the start of the UK day. In the morning (China Time) - it never works, as this is the middle of the night in UK.

Are there any known workarounds to help us address this issue?

Thanks for your support!

1 answer

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2017

Hi Anthony,

(I'm answering this as a general performance/loading problem with JIRA/Confluence Cloud, which I realise doesn't quite fit your problem, but I hope might help a bit).

Take a look at this KB article if you haven't already: https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/jira-or-confluence-cloud-instance-is-running-slowly-691011837.html

It sounds like you may have ruled out many of the possible causes, so it might be worth raising a ticket with Atlassian support, as mentioned in the Next Steps section. This is the link to use for Cloud related problems/questions: https://support.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/23

Also worth having a read of Arturo Monge's comments from on 'https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/268173' which I think is helpful (unlike much of the rest of the 'answers' on there!):

Arturo Monge wrote:

EDIT (Jan 2nd, 2017):

After speaking with support, I reactivated my JIRA Cloud instance, and now JIRA Cloud is responding as expected, with no change made by the support team and no change made on my side. So maybe the issue I had was a transient issue with my instance or just plain bad luck. Now the performance of JIRA Cloud is the same or better than my EC2 instance with JIRA self-hosted.

As for suggestions on how to deal with a slow Atlassian Cloud account:

1. First, make sure you rule out any local issues that might be affecting your connection to Atlassian Cloud. Try connecting from a different network and if possible, a different ISP. Try also connecting from another computer and from another browser. Make sure other cloud applications are not also having performance issues.
  2. Once you have ruled out any possible local problems that are under your control, give the problem some time and test later. Perhaps, your Atlassian Cloud instance is having a transient issue that Atlassian is already working to resolve, or perhaps the route from your location to Atlassian's data centers is also being affected by a temporary issue.
  3. If you continue to experience bad performance with your Atlassian Cloud instance, do contact technical support. They told me there are several things they can test and do to improve the performance of your account, but most importantly, they were extremely open about testing the instance for performance problems and making sure your instance ran as expected. In my case, I did not need any changes to my instance, but as mentioned in the comments, there could very well be a specific problem affecting your instance, that Atlassian will be more than willing to investigate and resolve.

So if you are experiencing a slow instance, and you have already ruled out local issues and given the problem some time, reach out to Atlassian's support, as the platform is not slow at all. It actually performs very, very well, but it CAN become slow for any number of reasons (besides local connection issues) that Atlassian will happily look into.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Sam

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2017

There's also this KB article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/cloud-instance-not-loading-stylesheets-or-scripts-779160670.html

And this old bug in which the 'Causes' section suggests that problems loading to batch.js and batch.css files could be caused by caching issues, especially if different languages are involved.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-37337

In general, I think the message is contact Atlassian Tech Support and hopefully they can investigate with you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events