Outgong mail Test connection failed

manitgl February 5, 2018

Hi,

I had updated the mail server provider in the JIRA, it shows the following error,

Unable to connect to the server at mail.techmindsindia.com due to the following exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out.

Kindlly assist..

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2018

Dear @manitgl,

the Java exception says that the requested host didn't answer in time. The reason can be that the host was to busy to respond. Try  to increase the time out.

If this doesn't help, do a

telnet mail.techmindsindia.com 25

or

telnet mail.techmindsindia.com 587

and see if anything happens.

So long

Thomas

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2018

Dear @manitgl,

you didn't come back, yet. Is your problem solved meanwhile?

So long

Thomas

manitgl February 9, 2018

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the delayed reply, i will check with your suggestion and let you know..

manitgl February 9, 2018

Where i have to the increase troubleshoot with telnet, either in the JIRA application hosted server part or it in the SQL database server...

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2018

Dear @manitgl,

execute the upper command on the Jira application  server.

So long

Thomas

manitgl February 9, 2018

when i executed the telnet with port nos 25 & 587, throws the following error, but when executed with 465, doesn't show any error

Error: 

220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited, 220 and/or bulk e-mail

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2018

Ok - fine - the server is reachable - we can go back to Jira.  Is this port (465) part of your outgoing mail configuration.

manitgl February 9, 2018

Yes Thomas, Port 465 is configured with

Protocal: secure_smtp

Time Out: 10000 ms

TLS: checked

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2018

Good - what happens if you uncheck TLS?

Do you have your password for the configuration? Normally listening on 465 the server requires authentication?

If you still have problems, please have a look In the log files of Jira. Is there an exception detail?

So long

Thomas

manitgl February 9, 2018

Yes i configured with the password and mail id, i will check and share the logs..

manitgl February 9, 2018

Pls the jira logs from the below url link, which was attached in the google drive

atlassian-jira log090218

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2018

Dear @manitgl,

you have a lot of

Unable to establish a connection with the database. (Network error IOException: Connection refused: connect)

errors in your log.  You should also fix this:

****************************************************************************************************
You are using an unsupported mssql collation: Latin1_General_CI_AI. This may cause some functionality to not work.
Please use SQL_Latin1_General_CI_AI or SQL_Latin1_General_CP437_CI_AI as the collation instead.
****************************************************************************************************

Found this again:

Unable to connect to the server at mail.techmindsindia.com due to the following exception: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: mail.techmindsindia.com, port: 465, response: -1

I connected successfully to port 587 of your mail server:

user:~$ telnet mail.techmindsindia.com 587
Trying 192.186.248.96...
Connected to mail.techmindsindia.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-p3plcpnl0048.prod.phx3.secureserver.net ESMTP Exim 4.89 #1 Fri, 09 Feb 2018 07:30:03 -0700
220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
220 and/or bulk e-mail.

This is the right server - but you need credentials. Please try following settings:

Port: 587

Protocoll: smtp

Time Out: 10000 ms

TLS: checked

User + Password

So long

Thomas

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2018

Ahhh!!!

I checked your mailserver. It does not support TLS !!!!

This is not good - means passwords are sent in clear text across the net!!!!!!!!1

Anyway, un-check TLS in your settings.

So long

Thomas

manitgl February 9, 2018

Ok, thanks Thomas, 

I will uncheck the TLS setting and update the status..

manitgl February 9, 2018

Hi Thomas,

unchecked the TLS, its throws the below errors..

Unfortunately no connection was possible. Review the errors below and rectify:

• SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2018

Dear @manitgl,

Then your mail server has a problem. Have you tried to send mails with a mail client (like Thunderbird) to this server?

So long

Thomas

manitgl February 9, 2018

Oh!!!!

I used to configured this same mail server settings in my some other JIRA instances and some of the web application too..

But those instance are working correctly, i am having issue with this JIRA instance alone..

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2018

If one server works and another one does not, then you need to look at

Why the mail server does not like this particular server

What this server is doing differently to the ones that work

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2018

Dear @manitgl,

have you fixed your problem, meanwhile?

So long

Thomas

manitgl February 14, 2018

No we are unable to fix this issue in JIRA, and also there is no more issues in our mail server...

Kindly assist..

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2018

I could help you over Hangout. Where an I contact you?

manitgl May 22, 2018

Hi Thomas Deiler,

Please contact raj@techmindsllc.com

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2018

Dear @manitgl,

wow! you must have had a very long holiday, or?

Currently I am on holiday and have only limited WiFi.

So long

Thomas

manitgl May 23, 2018

Hi Thomas,

Not like that, i was in some holidays, anyhow thanks your reply..

Shall we check it now to resolve this issue?

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2018

How can I help you now? What have you tried so far? Has the environment changed, meanwhile?

manitgl May 23, 2018

Wow, i can see the test connection succeeded.

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2018

So the problem is solved?

manitgl May 24, 2018

Yes, problem resolved.

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2018

And what has changed or what did you change to fix it?

Suggest an answer