Ordering by Rank not giving expected results

Thomas Guest December 11, 2015

When I create a filter for a specific project and order by Rank I get a different view to what I see if I just look at the backlog.  What should be sorting by to get the same view as the backlog?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2015

Rank, with some caveats.  Ranks are relative values rather than attributes, and the backlog has some quirks.

Could you confirm that your filter is "project = X order by rank" to begin with, and then explain what the difference is between the board backlog and the filter results?

Thomas Guest December 13, 2015

I started with project = X order by Rank and then also made not show epics or items that are done/closed etc. The result is correct for the first 3-4 items but then there are several items that appear at the top of a sprint called 'backlog' (we have several sprints above the backlog for planning purposes) and then the list is ordered correctly for another 4-5 tickets before it is wrong again. Does JIRA just order by rank when you view the backlog screen?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2015

Sorry for the delay, didn't see the email! Yes, JIRA only orders by rank when you are looking at the backlog screen. Sort of. If an issue is planned into a Sprint, then it appears in that sprint, above the backlog. Everything NOT in a sprint will be ordered by rank - that's the whole point of the backlog screen, to allow the ranking. I'm not sure I understand what you're actually looking at here. I'd start with a couple of simple questions though 1) is the *backlog* in the right order? 2) are issues in each *sprint* in the right order *within that sprint*?

Suggest an answer