On changing original estimate, remaining estimate does not adjust automatically

Daniel Martin-Fernandez October 14, 2015

We use Original Estimate for the obvious, but this does not mean it cannot change. When it changes the Remaining Estimate stays calculated based on the previous value and it needs to be adjusted manually which can be a pain and lead to people forgetting to do it or inaccuracy. Original Estimate is dynamic hence Remaining Estimate should be dynamic too.

We have created a UD field to enter the "Fixed Original Estimate" in case this needed to be reported plus whether there have been changes can be investigated through the issue/task history.

Is it possible to make Remaining Estimate to adjust automatically when Original Estimate changes so that this does not need to be done manually?

Thanks

2 answers

1 vote
Daniel Martin-Fernandez October 14, 2015

Hi Gabrielle.

I believe that original and remaining estimate are native JIRA fields hence no customisation is allowed.

I know that once you start logging work the remaining estimate is worked out as a deduction from original estimate. However, the issue comes if you change the original estimate once work had already been logged because then the remaining estimate is still calculated based on the original value.

In the attached example original estimate was 2d. I started to log work. Then I set the estimate to 3d but as you can see the remaining estimate keeps on being calculated taking 2d as the estimate which is wrong. When I reach 2d logged work it will say remaining estimate is 0 for that and for any further logged work.

Has anybody experience the same thing? Is there any fix? We are running on version 6.2

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2015

Remaining Estimate will always depend on hours "logged" to the issue on which is calculate from the "Original Estimate". Unless you put it some code or script to change this, it will always work this way.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events