On a kanban board we want to rank our tasks independently of other boards. Is this possible??

DARYL OSSWALD December 4, 2015

Our department is working on 1000's of tasks divided up in to smaller departments. Our specific department wants to have a kanban with our own tasks (but they involve other departments) and we want to rank our tasks INDEPENDENTLY of how the tasks are ranked on other boards. Is this possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2015

Ranking is based on a global ranking field by default, but you should be able to decouple that.

Try creating a new "rank" type field, but limit it to just the project(s) for that one department.  Use the field configuration to hide the global rank field from them too, to help keep it clear for your users.  Then change the board filter so that it orders by your new rank field.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2015

Following on from the comment from @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] you need to be very careful when working with different Rank fields. For instance, I assume that what is a priority in one department should be visible to other departments in terms of the overall ranking. If you decouple the ranking for one department this could lead to challenges with maintaining the overall view. So here is an alternative option for you. If each department has their own Kanban board on which they can (globally) rank their issues then they can move up/down those items appropriately within their board. If an item is shared across multiple boards then the change in priority can be seen on each board. JIRA cannot solve the problem of different teams not talking to each other but can at least provide visibility of the common priority.

DARYL OSSWALD December 7, 2015

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] I've been searching for the place to create a new "rank" and cannot find it. I also tried to assign a new "rank" field to my filter and that did not work as well.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2015

It should be available as a type of field under admin -> custom fields, when you try to add a new field. Take care NOT to call it rank.

DARYL OSSWALD December 8, 2015

Would that mean that I would have to go and add the custom field to all the tasks that I want on my kanban board? i.e. we have 136 tasks for our department. Would i have to add that field to all of those?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2015

No, it's automatic. If you add a new custom field to a project, set of projects, issuetype or even globally, it makes it *available* for use by all the issues straight away. Once you've added it, you should change the board filter to say "order by <your new rank field>" and then you'll be able to rank them separately.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events