• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • On JIRA Agile Board, create and start sprint buttons are greyed out for project admins when the board filter contains a label, used to populate backlog, even when the entire team has administer rights to issues in all their projects

On JIRA Agile Board, create and start sprint buttons are greyed out for project admins when the board filter contains a label, used to populate backlog, even when the entire team has administer rights to issues in all their projects

Jacob George February 8, 2016

If I do not use labels and instead string all their projects together into the board's filter, then permissions work correctly.  This behavior changed recently in our cloud based instance (Feb 2016) and is for some reason also affecting our internally hosted JIRA (v6.2#6252-sha1:aa34325).

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2016

Has someone used that label in a project that is not covered by the projects?

Jacob George February 8, 2016

Short answer is no.  I carefully checked by creating a new filter to see if the label was pulling in a project that did not have the team as admin, not the case.  Interestingly, if I just use the label, the buttons are greyed out, if i use a string of projects and remove label from filter, the buttons become available.  When I checked, I made sure that all issues were review, including open and closed ones in the database.

We use the labels because over time, we have found that teams may work on issues from multiple projects and we want to be able to steer an issue to a team by labeling it and then using a teams label to get that issue into their backlog.  This way we can have any team working on any issue in any project and only have assigned issues showing in their backlog.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2016

Ok, I think I've seen this before - it is because the labels have pulled in at least one project that the user doesn't have rights on, but that can be because an issue was in a project, not that it still is.

I avoid using labels for boards for precisely this reason.

Jacob George February 9, 2016

Thanks Nick for your time and responses, much appreciated.

Aha, that would make sense if JIRA Agile boards are persisting label/project association states that are no longer true; that may be something Atlassian may want to fix?

In any case, may I trouble you to ask how you would do what I am trying to do, that is, how would you have project A and B with issues A1, A2, A3 .... and B1, B2, B3, ... and have teams C and D and put items in their individual team backlogs selected issues from either project A or B?

Suggest an answer