'ORDER BY status DESC' Is there any other ways of ordering in JQL?

Hi,

I wanted to order a column. I know I can use DESC or ASC, but is there any other way to order. Can I give my own preference in ordering:

Eg. Order like --> Status --> First Done, Second - In Testing, Third - Rejected etc.

I am trying to match SQL query similar to this but could not. Do you have a guide or ability for this in JQL.

1 answer

Your only option in JQL is to order status by DESC or ASC. There is information on using the 'ORDER BY' keyword here.

However, you can set the order of the statuses will be listed using the Statuses admin page, which can be found via Administration > Issues > Statuses. The URL to get there will be: 

https://<YOUR_JIRA_URL>/secure/admin/ViewStatuses.jspa

On this screen you can use the little arrows to change the order of the statuses:

status-order.jpg

This will change the order they show in on the search screen.

For example, if you move "Done" to the top on the Statuses admin page, it will show first on the search screen when you do JQL like: 

order by status ASC

Hope this helps a bit.

Sam

Thanks Sam Hall!

Question: Is there no other way to update those? What if you have 54 statuses, and you need to move #38 to #1? 
Do I really have to click the up arrow 37 times and wait for the page to reload each time? :( :( :(

In later versions, you can drag the dotted metal panel into the right place, rather than have to click 37 times, although you're still going to get a page refresh on each move.

Hi Nic, as far as version, we are JIRA cloud.  I also found out if I press the up-arrow 6-8 times, it registers most of those clicks and moves up 6-8 slots. That made it a little more bearable, but I still spent over an hour moving statuses around. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Feb 15, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

1,142 views 6 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot