ORDER BY Priority DESC is not working in backlog/active sprint

Jackie Rosenzveig January 2, 2017

I have a Quick Filter with ORDER BY Priority DESC, but backlog & active sprint are still sorted by RANK (and I can still drag to change rank).

Any idea why my sort order is being ignored? 

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2017

Because a quick filter is there to hide issues from the board, not change the sort order.

Thanks for the clarification. So where do I set the sort order of the backlog/active sprint?
And can I do it in a way that I can easily switch back and forth between rank order and priority order?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2017

The sort order is set in the board's filter.  So there's no way to change the sort order quickly.

Yes, I just worked that out sad

I've now created two personal boards - one for sorting by priority and another for viewing by rank.

Seems really inefficient. What's really lacking is a treeview setup where you can easily click on column headers to sort by rank, priority, status, owner (or ideally any other field I might choose to have as a column header) 

Thanks for your help & quick responses!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2017

You can do that - try the issue navigator!

Yes, but I want this sort order in my backlog view, so I can view the top issues, select multiple and assign them to the current (or another defined) sprint.

But thanks for trying smile 

Tom Winans October 2, 2018

Couldn't agree more with the Jackie's needs. Would look forward to a solution to this!

Like # people like this
Juanma Cordoba May 10, 2020

Is there any solution on 2020 for this need?

Like Mustafa Cevik likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2020

No.

I don't think Atlassian are going to do this, because if you sort by something other by ranking, it's impossible to rank issues in a way most people will understand.

Cindy Daugherty August 26, 2020

I have to chime in. Atlassian gives us many fields but the reality is we move the work i the priority order we need it to be.  I need a simple detailed printed report in MY order and it can't do this.  I have tried multiple things.  Aside from doing alot of extra work to assign priority numbers (which would change regularly) I cannot get this.  I can print my screen but there is no way to get a nice formatted detail report.

Aleksander Altberg August 2, 2022

Yay more awful Jira UX that hasn't been addressed in over 4 years!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2022

Um, "give people the option to break things and then complain that stuff doesn't work"?  Is that really a good UX?

When baseline, fundamental features are blindingly non-intuitive to use and set up, then yeah it's a UX issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2022

What is being asked for here is not a "fundamental feature" it.  If it were implemented, it would be described as a "bug" or "design flaw" because it stops it all from working.

Implementing something that breaks your system is inarguably poor UX.

I think you may have fundamentally misunderstood my point.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2022

That is entirely possible.

My understanding of your point is that it is a poor user experience to not be able to configure a system so that it does not work.  

0 votes
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2023

Sounds like this one has been resolved.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events