Notifications for Issue Updates erroneously say Issue was Created

Kyle Mitofsky November 6, 2015

I'll regularly get notification emails that an issue has been created, even though it has merely been updated. For example, this morning I got the following email:

GN6oYT8.png

However, the only change I actually made to the issue was to update the status to "UA Ready":

CRGP8Rc.png

In case it's relevant, the name of this transition is not even created:

p8Xbfz3.png

How can this be fixed?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2015

If it's a transition, what notification you will get will typically depend on what event the transition emits in its post actions within the workflow, and what email template is associated with that event.  Assuming this is a notification due to a standard event, and not something custom, like a notification based on a Script Listener fired event.  In that case, you'd need to have separate listeners/events for create/update so you can select the appropriate template in the event definition.  And a notification sent entirely from a script, well... in that case, anything goes.

Kyle Mitofsky November 6, 2015

Aha, so here is my workflow transition post function and the email template for the event it's firing (http://imgur.com/a/igwJC). I created a new event, but when I added it, the default email template must have been the created template and I never overrode it.

Neal Applebaum November 6, 2015

Yes - so your custom event (Issue ready for UA) is using a system template (Issue Created) In order to create a new event and corresponding template, some work outside of the user interface is necessary. I just upgraded to JIRA 6 so I can help you if you need/want to do that. You need to edit email-template-id-mappings.xml to add your new template (e.g. readyforua.vm) and then edit an existing velocity template by copying it (e.g. issueupdated.vm) and changing its contents accordingly.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2015

I suspect he just wants to use "Issue Updated" instead of "Issue Created" from the standard templates.

1 vote
Neal Applebaum November 6, 2015

To re-iterate Jeremy's answer, go to the workflow to see what "event" is being generated by the workflow action "release to UA". It may be "Generic Event", or based on your report maybe it has been set to "Issue Created". Go to the "Post Functions" tab for the workflow and look for something like this: "Fire a Generic Event event that can be processed by the listeners.".

Suggest an answer