Normally how much effort is required to do major version upgrade and minor upgrades

Muhammad Fahad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2019

Dear Community experts,

I'm exploring efforts required to upgrade Jira Server from the old version to the latest versions.

I have gone through the checklist: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrade-checklist-966063320.html

but not sure how long will it take to do minor and major upgrades like 5 days or 10 days.

Based on your experiences, can you please give me an idea?

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2019

Hi @Muhammad Fahad ,

That completely depends on your configuration. 

If everything is simple, no add-ons, no complex configuration, you can do it in a half day.

Upgrade a test environment with cloned data, check a bit, then upgrade production.

If it's getting more complex, you will need more time. The most part is preparation like checking compatibility and things like that. Testing is another factor you must have in mind. If you have complex workflows that must be tested, it will take time. If you have many apps or integrations, you might want to test them too.

Maybe you have to even train the staff for new features or UI.

So it might be pretty long.

Muhammad Fahad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2019

Thanks @Bastian Stehmann 

Suggest an answer