Non add-on development marketing

zsolthajdu November 27, 2015

Hello, I'm wondering if Add-ons are the only tools that can marketed on the Atlassian marketplace.

Is there a common way to market external tools as well? E.g. an application that connects to Jira via RESt calls but it's not an add-on

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2015

You can advertise other tools that are not installed in Atlassian products, as long as there is a clear connection.

Try typing "JIRA mac" or "JIRA client" into the marketplace search, you'll find quite a few items that are not strictly "add-ons" (nothing is added to JIRA to support many of them).  Obviously, they all work with JIRA and that's what I mean by "clear connection"

Sam Huawey November 28, 2015

Ok, I found https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.obss.plugin.jiraclient/server/overview. When I tried to install this product (pressed Get it now) - browser downloaded a jar file. What should I do with the jar? Should I put it into itunes and play it like an mp3? I mean that it is not allowed by targets like Android and Iphone to install 3rd party clients from sites like atlassian. The only thing to do it is to "jailbreak". So, it is meaningless to publish things that are not plugins in atlassian marketplace.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2015

I don't understand what you're getting at here. The Atlassian marketplace is for software that relates to their products. A *lot* of the entries are add-ons for their products. But there are many entries that are *not* add-ons (i.e you install them on a client computer - phone, desktop, tablet, media player, etc) Doesn't matter what the platform is, the point is that it talks to an Atlassian software server. It's a valid entry in the marketplace because it talks to an Atlassian product properly. All the stuff about Android and iPhone and jailbreaking is irrelevant. There are many entries in the Atlassian Marketplace for things that run completely outside any Atlassian application. They're not "plugins", they're independent software. (As for your problem downloading that one product which appears 8th on the list for me when I run the suggested searches, I would support you if you said "the installation instructions are wrong", but I'd want you to read what the seven above it do first - four of them are not add-ons and two of them work on iPhones. So your "it is meaningless" sentence is wrong)

zsolthajdu November 28, 2015

Thank you. I think it ia clear now

Sam Huawey November 30, 2015

I said "meaningless" because when I see such "related" product in the marketplace, it will not help me to buy it "one-click" or to install it for free. So, it is just kind of another annoying banner or advert that makes it so hard to find something really useful nowadays. May be it is a good idea to separate market place: one useful part for addons and another - for advertisements. I understand that atlassian wants to make money, but being a customer I don't want to see anything that I don't need.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2015

I don't think splitting the marketplace makes sense. As an end user, I can search for all Atlassian related products in one place, I don't need to wander off to other places to find things that I might find useful. I'm really not sure what your point is here - you can buy from the marketplace, install as per the instructions for your system and use the software you've bought (yes, some of it's free). It sounds like you're confusing the vast range of software that *could* be run on all sorts of things with a marketplace for a single device.

0 votes
Sam Huawey November 27, 2015

Atlassian marketplace is for plugins only.

You can add your application to Android Market, iphone market or Windows market, depending on your target.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events