Newbie help with workflow

Edward Brincat February 17, 2016

Hi There,

Setting up a new business and I want to track progress on Building certification jobs.

Basic steps are: 

1. Client Enquiry
  2. Proposal Sent
  3. Acceptance Received
  4. Send Checklist
  5. Follow-up Documentation
  6. Receive Payment
  7. Issue CC or CDC
  8. Notify Council
  9. Carry Out Inspections (Sub steps Inspection 1,2,3,4,5)
  10. Issue Final Occupancy (or Interim)

How do I set this up and is worflow the right way to do it?

Any guidance or even a URL to a tutorial would be great.

Thanks

Andrew

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2016

Actually, there's not a lot more to it.

You have a process that a item should go through, and to build a workflow, you need to get a list of distinct steps, and link them together with actions that change the status.

Your list is not quite the status list, I think it's a mix of status and transition - you want status to represent where the item is in the process and transtions to be what you do to progress.   An easy way to identify a status is to use it as a description - "My issue is New, my issue is Waiting for acceptance, my issue is complete"

To step through yours, I'd say you want

• New (client has enquired, you've written up a new issue).
    • Transition: proposal sent
    • Transition: cancel request
  • Waiting for response
    • Transition: Accepted by client
    • Transition: Proposal rejected (go back to new)
  • Need to send checklist

... and so-on.

You might also want to think about breaking it up a bit - check list and follow-up docs might be better as sub-tasks or even just check boxes to confirm you've done it.

The other tips are generalised:

• Always think about how you go back in a workflow, as it might not be right to always go forward.
  • Also think about how you cancel or pause a request part way through
  • Think about the Resolution field - you want to set that when an issue reaches a "this is complete" status, and clear it if re-opened.  Even if you don't want to use it at all, you still want to set/clear it, or JIRA's reporting and gadgets won't work properly.
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2016

+1! Very good explanation!

Thanks Nic, your point re differentiating status & transitions is a very good one. 

I have to say I know what I want, but I'm struggling a bit with the learning curve to configure Jira. So many things to do setting up a new business smile

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2016

Thanks Ignacio, I'll take a look. smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events