New user of JIRA need your help!!!

Nguyen Thi Chinh October 21, 2016

I am a new user of JIRA and I just want to understand some more about this system. I am trying to create a project and I have some questions about JIRA as follow:

1. Who will receive email notification and when will they receive?
  2. The one who choose to follow project can receive notification of any changes in project or not?
  3. How do log time system work in JIRA?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2016

There is a work around for 'following a project' I had some folks that thought they wanted to do that and I created a project role 'track project' and put them in it. I then added it to the notification scheme everywhere I had Watcher. It didn't take long for most of them to ask to be removed.

WARNING: DO NOT put the resolution field on any screen except the one shown during the transition you want it set. Many new users put the resolution field on the edit screen. It is REQUIRED whenever presented so they end up with people being forced to fill in a value and now the issue doesn't show up in the assigned to me and other built in reports. Also, the red 'unresolved' that shows means the field is NULL in the database. You can't put an Unresolved value in the select list to fix the problem.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2016

>It didn't take long for most of them to ask to be removed.

Thanks Joe, that made me chuckle smile

The other piece of advice for new JIRA admins I always give is 1. use roles.  2. talk to your users. 3. use roles.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2016
  1.  Start with a look at the "notification scheme", that will tell you who gets email when "events" happen.
  2. You can't "follow a project", but you can add yourself as a "watcher" to issues.  Watchers get emailed as described in the notification scheme
  3. If a user has "log work" permission, then they can record time spent on an issue.  There's a whole load of functions around that - have a read through https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/logging-work-on-issues-764478447.html

Suggest an answer