Need to use project as main task and then sub-project

Juan_Torne_Sr April 19, 2020

To use jira we need to have main projects and under them sub-projects, each sub-project will have entries of multiple team members. For example, we manage Technology Development, under this main project or activity we have multiple projects for each product, each product has four main components, electronics design, mechanical design, software design and finally assembly and documentation.  The process repeats for each project or product or sub-project under the Technology Development main project. So far I have not been able to find the way to do this simple structure, it seems there is only one way to manage Jira, multiple projects and then tasks. This is complicated when we have multiple projects and sub-projects and we try to keep track and the system organized.

1 answer

1 vote
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2020

Hi @Juan_Torne_Sr

I'm not sure I have the full context. Is your Jira instance for Technology Development only, or is is shared by other departments?

One thing you could do is to use Epics for the main projects under Technology Development and use Jira components for the five that your mentioned: electronics design, mechanical design, software design, assembly and documentation. When linking tasks to epics it makes it really easy to filter. And by having components you could also assign component owners or leaders, which is a neat feature.

Let me know if this model wouldn't work and I can try to re-adjust.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events