Need to add specific watcher only when a specific person is assigned a JIRA ticket

Bill Napper June 10, 2016

A Project manager in our company wants to be automatically added as a watcher on tickets of another project only if it is assigned to a specific developer.

I think the parts that has me stumped is first, the "ticket of another project" part,

then second, how do I automatically trigger the "add watcher" only if the ticket is assigned to a specific developer?

The project manager certainly doesn't want to be added as a watcher to all the "other project" tickets, which is understandable since it's not their project, but does want to know when their developer is working on other projects managed by other project managers".

I'm guessing at least on part of the setup would involve adding the project manager to a role in the "other project"?

I'd really appreciated any thoughts and suggestions!

1 answer

0 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2016

As a first step, Please add your Project Manager into required role and provide sufficient permissions in the other Project. Use the below script  to check the assignee, whether he is your developer or not. If yes, assign it to your project manager. Sorry, that I couldn't test and provide you the verified script here, since I am away from my work station.

import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.comments.CommentManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField
import com.atlassian.jira.util.ImportUtils
import com.atlassian.jira.user.util.DefaultUserManager
import com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.api.User

IssueManager issueManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager();
String assignee = (String) issue.getAssignee()
if((assignee == 'developer1') || (assignee == 'developer2') || (assignee == 'developer3'))
{
def userManager = ComponentAccessor.getUserManager()
def user = userManager.getUserByName("MyProjectManager")
def id=issue.getId()
watcherManager.startWatching(user, issue.getIssueObject(id))
}

Note: Kindly modify the developer and MyProjectManager usernames.

Suggest an answer