Multi checkbox values not appearing in issue navigator

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2016

This is a very serious issue for us.  (FYI - ticket and issue are synonymous, we say ticket, so that's how this is written)  

I created a project for one of my teams that needed to use ticket type and sub-types.  By sub type I mean I defined a multi checkbox custom field that would be used for each ticket type.  Each type has its own custom field.  My field configurations match the ticket type to its subtype field.

We need to be able to produce a report every month using the following JQL:

project = projectname AND created >= startOfMonth(-1) AND created <= endOfMonth(-1)

The problem is, even after adding these columns to the navigator, NONE of these checkbox fields show up in the navigator and NONE of these fields appear in the Excel file that is generated, no matter if current fields or all fields is selected.

This project has 11 ticket types.  Running 11 separate filters, generating 11 separate reports, and combining them into one is WAY too much work - especially since I'd be telling a Director that this is their option.

If you have a solution - one that does not involve eazyBI Reports or any plugins that require a paid license (because, bottom line, that ain't happenin') I really could use that info.

3 answers

0 votes
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2016

On second thought, if there is a way to guarantee that Easy BI Reports or another tool (one that does not involve a lot of back end work and would ensure users could run reports from the GUI without admin rights) then I may be able to justify a purchase.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2016

I'm a little confused on what you've actually configured here, but my best guess is that when you say "sub type", you're referring to JIRA sub-task issue types.

If that is the case, then the problem is a long-standing design flaw in JIRA - when you're in the issue navigator, it will only display fields that are valid for all of the project/issue-types selected in the query.  So, if you have a field like "colour" that only applies to "bugs" and you run a report for "issuetype  in (bugs, features)", it silently drops the colour field because it does not apply to "features"

You can test my guesswork by adding "and issuetype = <one single sub-task type with the field>" - if the column gets populated, then my guess is right.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2016

Sorry - I had defined it in the post, though.   By sub type I mean I defined a multi checkbox custom field that would be used for each ticket type.  Each issue type has its own corresponding check box field containing sub types.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2016

But the problem you described is not always true.  For example, I have a field called "Version Status" that is only applicable to a single project.  I can out that field in the navigator and I will see results for the following query:

(project = key1 or project = key2) AND "Version Status" is not EMPTY

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2016

No, I'm sorry, I'm even more confused now.

Do you have different sub-task issue types?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2016

This project does not use sub-tasks.

Here's the way it works.  Rather than making something like 40 issue types, we made 11 that fit general categories, and then each issue type has a sub-type field.

0 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2016

Have you tried BIRT designer? You should connect it to JIRA DB and create sql query to get data.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2016

I'm not going to be able to get a product requiring a paid license.  Also, I'm not exposing the db to the user base.

Suggest an answer