Moving to JIRA Software from JIRA Core

Piotr Jachym March 31, 2016

Hi,

I bought JIRA Core (7.0) license for 2000 users but it turned out that we need JIRA Agile in our company. As I read, I can install JIRA Agile as a add-on only in older JIRA version but in later versions JIRA Agile is a part of JIRA Software. Is it true? 
Can I move from JIRA Core to JIRA Software? If I can, how to do that?
Or maybe I can install JIRA Agile to the JIRA Core?
Thanks for quick answer.
Regards

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2016

You can do it from JIRA Core under Administration > Applications. Just need to enable JIRA Software under Versions & licenses.

Aparna Mohod February 4, 2019

Hi..

I have same problem,Can I move from JIRA Core to JIRA Software? 

But I dont see this "Administration > Applications. Just need to enable JIRA Software under Versions & licenses" in my Jira core.

Thanks!

0 votes
Piotr Jachym March 31, 2016

Thank for quick response.

So it's enough I will insert JIRA Software license?
What's about my JIRA Core license in this case? Should I pay for JIRA Software Or maybe I should pay only difference in price between these two versions?
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2016

You can have different set of users for both and so I am not sure how licensing works in this case. You might want to ask the Atlassian Sales team or reach out to a reseller like Go2Group.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2016

It sounds like you should simply take your 2,000 Core licence and upgrade it to a 2,000 Software licence.  A Software user get access to Core as part of their Software licence.  (But, you could do something like 1,000 Software and 1,000 Core users - the people in the first group would have access to all functions, the second group won't be able to use Agile Boards, Sprints and so-on)

Keith Wallace October 31, 2016

What if I want to get rid of JIRA Core completely?

The admin GUI just offers to uninstall JIRA Software but not JIRA Core. Also the footer of the page shows the version of JIRA Core.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2016

Just stop the server and remove JIRA.

JIRA Software is an application that runs on the JIRA framework.  If you remove Core, it has nothing to run on, and even if it were standalone, it has nothing to work with.  Core is the project and issue data, with fields, workflows, screens, the UI, user handling, the REST interfaces and so-on.  Boards with no data aren't going to be that helpful to you.

Keith Wallace October 31, 2016

So JIRA Software only comes together with JIRA Core. I have to buy JIRA Core licenses and also JIRA Software licenses in order to work with JIRA Software?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2016

JIRA software is an application you add to Core.  If you buy Software licences, they include access to Core, so you don't pay again.

Dirk Spannaus January 4, 2017

Is there a way to run JIRA core projects with reduced features in parallel to JIRA software with JIRA software licenses?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2017

Everyone has access to JIRA Core, as I said.  If you then get some plain Core licences (not Software or Service desk), then you'll be able to set up users who have Core access, but no Software features.  They'll still be able to see and work with Software projects, because projects and issues are Core features, but they won't get boards/sprints/etc (well, there is a very simple board function in Core)

malak September 18, 2017

Hi Nic,

I've read a few discussions here on adding JIRA Software (JS) to an existing JIRA Core (JC) installation, and I still need clarity on licensing and access.  My JC is self-hosted (server).

1) If I have, say, a 10-user JC license and I want to add a 10-user JS license (all of whom would need Core access enabled), would that be treated as (a) 2 separate $10-licenses amounting to $20, or (b) would the user count for Core be combined to 20, thereby bumping me to the next price tier (11-25 users)?

2) If they are treated separately, would my 10 JS users be able to access the projects and issues in the existing JC install?  You said "Everyone has access to JIRA Core...", but I want to clarify whether -- in this example -- that means everyone has access to (a) the same Core project/issue data set, or (b) Core features, but not necessarily data.

I hope the question is clear.  Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2017

1) It's a $20 licence.  You've got a $10 licence for Core, and you then add a $10 licence for Software.  The Software (and JSD for that matter) licences include Core access.  So you'll have 20 users able to use core features and 10 able to use Software boards

2) Yes, as the licence includes Core access.  Everyone will be able to use all the projects (permissions allowing).  You just have 10 users who won't get access to Scrum and Kanban boards.

malak September 19, 2017

Thanks for the clarification and quick response.  Best regards.

cicob April 5, 2018

This topic is still not clear to me, and I don't understand why Atlassian cannot state the facts clearly on the official pricing-page. 

- If you go from 10 to 50 users for the product X it is clear that you only pay an upgrade fee (the delta) as per the table shown here (chapter 6 at the time of my writing): https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira-software

- If you realise you bought the wrong license and simply need to upgrade 50 CORE-users to 50 SOFTWARE-users, do you really have to pay BOTH licences? Is ther no upgrade-path here?

I.e, we first pay 2'400 USD for 50 Core-users, realise our mistake, and then have to pay another 3'600 USD on top of this, instead of just the delta ?

Suggest an answer