Moving User Stories automatically when its subtask is moved

sebastian-t October 27, 2020

Hi,

When dev. moves a Task A to column "In Progress" I would like the User Story in which Task A is a subtask to have it's status changed as well.

Is it possible?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2020

Yes it is possible by creating an automation. You have to set it in your project settings, automation tab (the third on the list).

It should look like this. Tell me if you struggle to do this.

Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 10.32.10.png

Can I make it follow any status or do I have to be specific.

For example I have statuses like Backlog, Selected for dev, In Progress, Code Rev. QA, Done

In step For Parent I would like to get the list of sub-tasks and check whether they have the same status. If they have the same status I would like to move Parent ( User Story ) to the same status as it's subtasks.

@Flavien Gache I can't make your example work.

https://youtu.be/S8iIhVDgFTs

I think I've set everything as in your example but User Stories doesn't want to move at all

Recurly Operations April 7, 2021

Automation not available on any kind of tab as there are none in project settings so I assume this is a Cloud only solution

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2020

Hi @Flavien Gache  - A couple of things I see:

1. You do not have In Progress as the status being transitioned to in step 1 above. It looks like you have left it blank. 

2. In the second to last step above you have If: Status equals In Progress when it should have Does NOT equal In Progress as in the example above. 

Suggest an answer