Minimal connectivity between nodes in JIRA Datacenter

Corentin Méhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Installing JIRA Data Center

Hello,

I was configuring JIRA in Datacenter mode on a cloud infrastructure and I couldn't find in the existing Atlassian answers or JIRA Datacenter documentation pages the minimal connectivity required between 2 nodes. The only info I found was that they "must be located in the same data center".

Question : what is the minimal connectivity required between nodes for JIRA Datacenter ?

Thanks in advance for your help

2 answers

0 votes
Corentin Méhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2016

Thanks for your answer.

This is the error I got on the node that does not start (the other node is correctly starting with the licence and it connects correctly to the NFS & DB). Both are on AWS, on the same region, and on the same "Security Group".

2016-03-17 16:49:30,833 Caesium-1-4 ERROR ServiceRunner     [n.s.ehcache.distribution.RMISynchronousCacheReplicator] Exception on replication of putNotification. Connection refused to host: <IP node 2>; nested exception is: 
        java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out. Continuing...
java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: <IP node 2>; nested exception is: 
    java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:619)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(TCPChannel.java:216)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:202)
    at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java:130)
    at net.sf.ehcache.distribution.RMICachePeer_Stub.put(Unknown Source)
    at net.sf.ehcache.distribution.RMISynchronousCacheReplicator.replicatePutNotification(RMISynchronousCacheReplicator.java:149)
    at net.sf.ehcache.distribution.RMISynchronousCacheReplicator.notifyElementUpdated(RMISynchronousCacheReplicator.java:187)
    at net.sf.ehcache.event.RegisteredEventListeners.internalNotifyElementUpdated(RegisteredEventListeners.java:216)
    at net.sf.ehcache.event.RegisteredEventListeners.notifyElementUpdated(RegisteredEventListeners.java:194)
    at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.notifyPutInternalListeners(Cache.java:1530)
    at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.putInternal(Cache.java:1502)
    at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.put(Cache.java:1427)
    at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.put(Cache.java:1392)
    at com.atlassian.cache.ehcache.DelegatingCache.put(DelegatingCache.java:82)
    at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.healthcheck.service.HeartBeatService.propagateHeartBeat(HeartBeatService.java:89)
    at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.healthcheck.scheduler.impl.HealthCheckSchedulerImpl.runJob(HealthCheckSchedulerImpl.java:50)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.runJob(JobLauncher.java:153)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launchAndBuildResponse(JobLauncher.java:118)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launch(JobLauncher.java:97)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.launchJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:401)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeLocalJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:369)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeQueuedJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:347)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService$1.consume(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:255)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService$1.consume(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:252)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:65)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.executeNextJob(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:59)
    at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.SchedulerQueueWorker.run(SchedulerQueueWorker.java:34)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:345)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:538)
    at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:434)
    at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:211)
    at sun.rmi.transport.proxy.RMIDirectSocketFactory.createSocket(RMIDirectSocketFactory.java:40)
    at sun.rmi.transport.proxy.RMIMasterSocketFactory.createSocket(RMIMasterSocketFactory.java:148)
    at net.sf.ehcache.distribution.ConfigurableRMIClientSocketFactory.createSocket(ConfigurableRMIClientSocketFactory.java:71)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:613)
    ... 27 more
0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2016

What do you mean by minimal connectivity here? Whatever I've read in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/installing-jira-data-center-604274940.html is pretty straight forward for me. Maybe you can explain more on what you need?

Corentin Méhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2016

Hello,

I have several nodes on the same datacenter, but by default they are totally separated one from each other and for each I need to specifically grant them access. 

• Which ports/port ranges need to be allowed and for which protocols ?
  • Is there any use of multicast ?

I followed the documentation provided, but it does not specify enough the minimal requirements for the "connectivity".

Thanks in advance for your help,

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2016

The key point in the data center model here is the step #2, there's where the magic happens. No ports and protocols needed to be configured.

2. Set up the JIRA file storage location on shared storage

Suggest an answer