Migration from 6.2.x direct to Jira 7.x

Michael February 22, 2017

Hello, 

today i have try in a test environment to upgrade a JIRA 6.2.4. Version directly to JIRA 7.3.x

I get the effect that JIRA starts clear and all Data is available.

But when i restart JIRA after this migration, JIRA won't start again, it looks like the data is not consistent.

The Upgrade self i try it with out the Migration of the Attachments because to sync more then 200GBs will take to much time. 

So, it is better to migrate from 6.4. to 7.0. to 7.3.1 to solve this, or ist this a Problem that i don't have used the attachments and the Upgrade task was not finished clearly?

Maybe someone has make the same "mistake". smile

Regards

Michael

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2017

That's too large a jump over the 6-7 hurdle.  Officially, you should really go to 6.4, then 7.0, but you will probably find you can go a bit further.

The largest jump I've seen work in one go is from 6.3 to 7.1  (I tried 7.2, but there were too many problems).

6.4 to anything up to 7.2 seems to work absolutely fine, in my experience, and I got part way into a 6.4 to 7.3 upgrade that was looking healthy before we changed track slightly.

Your mileage may vary - I'd plan the worst case, 6.3 -> 6.4 -> 7.0 -> 7.3, but actually test 6.3 -> 6.4 -> 7.3 and run with it if it's healthy.

Michael February 22, 2017

Hi Nic,

thanks.

I must correct myself i go from 6.4.9 directly to 7.3.1.

The first Startup is OK, but when i restart the System again it look like there a Database issues.

U know if it is necessary to add the Attachments to the Version Update?

Reagrds

michael

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2017

You'll need to read more of the log to see where it's going wrong, but at a glance, you're using an unsupported collation on the database.  Older versions of JIRA would run with it, but later ones need the right collation to be set.

Michael February 25, 2017

That point i will check. 

When it just the collation than it looks like that the migration from 6.4 goes directly to 7.3.1 without issues.

Regards

Michael

0 votes
Michael Stiegler February 24, 2017

I have Upgraded from 6.4.9 to 7.0 to 7.3.1.

After the Migration JIRA comes cleary up.
The Data looks fine.

But when i restart the System i get follow error:

There is a problem with your JIRA access.

Description

Time

Level

Exception

Unexpected exception during JIRA startup. This JIRA instance will not be able to recover. Please check the logs for details

2017-02-24 15:26:53

fatal

I get also this error message:

You are using an unsupported postgres72 collation: en_US.UTF-8. This may cause some functionality to not work.

Please use POSIX.UTF-8 or C.UTF-8 or C or POSIX as the collation instead.

2017-02-24 16:38:48,762 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR      [c.a.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener] Unable to start JIRA.

com.google.common.util.concurrent.ExecutionError: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/bouncycastle/util/encoders/DecoderException

any idea?

Suggest an answer