Managing a small IT department with numerous existing applications. Do I create a Jira project for each application?

Eric February 24, 2017

Hello,
I'm trying to get a handle on how I might use JIRA to manage and track change requests, issues, and projects for our existing individual applications. I'm still pretty new to JIRA, having used it mainly just for issue tracking on a single project.

Would I create a JIRA project for each application? I want to have issue log and backlog that I can track for each app, so it seems like I would need a project for each? I guess I'd like confirmation on that strategy.

On the other hand, it seems like I'll then have lots of projects that I'll need to look at each one in order to get a bigger picture on what's going on. Would there be a way to organize all the activities across multiple projects into say, a single Kanban board, to get a big picture of activities?

Not sure if what I'm searching for exists in way of other terminology or guide/tutorial. Appreciate feedback or direction to existing document.

Cheers.
Eric

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2017

Hi. Technically there are several ways. 

You could give every application a dedicated project. 

You could group applications in a shared project and separate applocations for instance by components

kanban boards are filter driven. So whatever you want to show up on your boards you can make it happen by using the right JQL in your filter

Eric February 25, 2017

I'm  playing with the approach to use a sort of "master" project and then use components to organize each application.  From a strictly organizational aspect, I'm really liking it.

Suggest an answer