Making sprint a required field

Joe Fitzgerald December 2, 2016

I want to be able to make sprint a required field however its locked and I can't make the simple change needed. 

2 answers

1 vote
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2016

So...why would the sprint be a required field? 

Secondly, using vanilla Jira, I'm not sure you can do that. All the tricks to make a field required, would make the field ALWAYS required, which defeats the purpose of things. 

If it can't be done fair enough however the reason I asked is because we have on occasion tickets logged where users forget to add the sprints and those tickets don't get grouped with the others when needed. 

Being able to make that option a required selection when logging a new ticket would have fixed the issue. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2016

Um, the whole point of the sprint field is that issues are mostly logged without a sprint.  Then the team does sprint planning where they place the issues in the right to-do order and then plan them into a sprint.  Knowing which sprint a new issue should be added to is an edge-case which is supported, as you can fill it in.  Making sprint mandatory is not even vaguely Agile, it makes planning, scrums, velocity and so-on pointless, and hence it's not possible in JIRA Software.

Well tbh not all teams works the same and there are things known as backlog/planning sprints which issues go into before being moved to another sprint at a later date.

If you don't agree with the question thats fine but please respect that not everyone works the same and that agile itself is fairly adaptable depending on the needs of a project or business. 

Seens as the original question has been answered we'll find another solution to our problem

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2016

I recognise that, I was just pointing out why it's not implemented. 

It's a Scrum related feature and making it mandatory completely breaks that, so it's pointless.  You already have a "backlog sprint", it's called a "backlog".

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2016

I agree with Nic TBH - Sprint is EMPTY means that it's in a backlog. Usually if teams are using planning or backlog 'sprints' they're misunderstanding the use-case of the tool.

J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2016

Joe - I wasn't trying to tell you right or wrong. What was expressed was baffling to me as it goes against what I've known and used. The reason I say that is because then everyone cutting every ticket has to know what sprint it goes to, and that then ignores the ranking/prioritization process. There then is no "backlog." No PM. None of that usual stuff I associate with a scrum model. 

What you are describing to me is more of a Kanban thing, where dates are known. Where everyone gets to set when they need something by and that there isn't a process to triage and negotiate when things are done. There is simply only a constant delivery of things by date. Then you don't need sprints. You are just working on things according to when they are due.  

Jerry Grenn May 2, 2019

There is a way to make this happen without making the field mandatory since it transposes across every project.  

When the first transition occurs (Open) you cannot add a condition to look for the field, but you can add a validator that checks to see if a certain field has data, i.e. the sprint field.  We added the validator to the initial transition to verify the field is NOT EMPTY and is working as we want it to!  No more missed bug/task tickets in our sprints!!!

0 votes
Jerry Grenn May 2, 2019

When the first transition occurs (Open) you cannot add a condition to look for the field, but you can add a validator that checks to see if a certain field has data, i.e. the sprint field.   Not ideal if you need to add this to a bunch of workflows, but it can perform the expected result.

Suggest an answer