Maintaining a simple Kanban -ish flow in Scrum Project

derekverlee August 16, 2016

I apologize for not being able to ask a more specific question: 

We are migrating our projects from Pivotal Tracker to JIRA, and I have a few questions about how to best configure the particular project that I manage.  This project runs in parallel to the main development project, which uses scrum with two week intervals.

Here is what I am struggling with:

I'd prefer to not have to manually assign issues to sprints.  Instead, I'd like to simply keep the backlog ordered by priority and have an issue be "in a sprint" once it becomes in-progress.  do need to track the sprint in which a issue was started, and when it was finished, so a pure kanban project might not work. The sprints are always the same as the main development project.

How can I best maintain a simple flow like this while working within a larger Scrum context?

1 answer

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2016

The JIRA Sprints does not work that way (and I have not heard of any Sprints that works like what you describe). You can always add issues to a Sprint even though it was already started but it's not based on the "Issue Status". You will have to add them manually or create something (code,script) that will automatically add them to the Sprint of your choice.

derekverlee August 17, 2016

Thank you.  While I am excited to be moving to JIRA, I have been been working under a different mental model of how to organize my particular project, and am now trying to map that onto the concepts available to me in JIRA.  In pivotal tracker, I was able to simple run things in a todo list fashion, maintaining a fluid workflow, however the software was "sprint aware", it calculated the velocity of the previous sprints then drew markers in my backlog of where the each sprint boundary would fall assuming the current velocity and accurate estimates.  That seemed to work well for my needs.

Suggest an answer