Limit Epic creation to only a certain group

Michael_Bannen January 4, 2017

Hello,

Is it possible to limit Epic creation to only a certain group?

Thank you

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2017
0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2017

Using JIRA Cloud "out of the box", without any add-ons/customisations, I can think of two options:

1. Put your Epics in a separate project, linked to a permission scheme in which the "Create Issues" permission is only granted to your 'epic-creators' group.

2. Similar to suggestions discussed in your duplicate question: in your workflow for Epics, put a validator on the "Create" transition to restrict creation.

Unfortunately (if I'm not mistaken) there is no validator "out of the box" in JIRA Cloud that can check if a user is in a particular group. But I can suggest a pretty clunky work-around:

Use the "Permission validator" to require that the user has a project permission that would usually be for admin only, but has only minor impact. "Manage Watchers" might be a good candidate, as by default only users with the "Administrators" project role have that permission.

So, this is effectively 'hijacking' the "Manage Watchers" permission to use it to control which groups can create Epics as well as manage watchers. 

Of course, the side effect is that, if you give your 'epic-creators' group this permission, they'll be able to both create Epics and manage watchers on all issues (as will people with the "administrators" project role). It will also be difficult/risky from an admin point of view. There won't be anything to indicate the "Manage watchers" permission controls Epic creation, so beware! It's up to your judgement as to whether you think these are acceptable compromises.

Sam

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events