Kanban board setup for Kimball DWH design+dev?

len kirby June 23, 2016

We're embarking on design/dev of a data warehouse using Kimball methods.

Kimball has three main tracks for each 'story' if you will: Tech, Business, and Data.

I'd like to bundle all stories in these tracks, but only for a given 'story'.

I'm curious if anyone out there has setup a kimball style board in kanban, and how it was laid out.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2016

I've not seen it done for this directly, but a couple of similar approaches spring to mind.  Both rely on a custom field to identify the track on issues.  One clunky one is to create sub-tasks and place them into each track.  An arguably better one is to set up the Kanban board with swimlanes - one per track.

len kirby June 23, 2016

Yeah, I'm following a similar approach so far. But I'm already seeing a limitation.

I have swimlanes by epic, and an epic for each track (BI,Tech,Data). Currently, my kanban has pretty basic columns setup (todo, doing, done kinda thing)

Top Epic swimlane - Business Requirements (to feed the other tracks)

3 next swimlanes - tech/data/bi

last swimlane - catchall (other stuff, bugs etc)

Trouble with this is it's not using epics for what they're for. I'd prefer to use the epic for the biz requirements maybe? And then spawn story/task cards for tech/data/bi from that, each with their own swimlane. Hmm....

If Another set of biz requirements come along the way I have this setup, I'll need to somehow rejig this whole thing, and possibly dupe the 4 epics for another 'biz requirement'

Suggest an answer