Kanban Board Queue

Adria Heimburger June 26, 2020

Good morning all, 

Is there a way to take a column on a Kanban board and to add #'s next to the issues in that swimlane so that you can see what # your issue is in that queue without counting each ticket? For instance, a queue for a reporting ticket has 27 items - yours is 11th, can you put a number next to the tickets in that column so that you can know without counting and it can update as tickets move through the queue?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2020

Hi Adria - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am not completely following your question. The Swimlanes already have a number for every card in that Swimlane. I am not sure why you would need to know that your card is number 11 of 27. 

Yes, there is a total for the swimlane, correct? But for someone just checking on how far back they are in that queue, is there a way to see that your card is #11 out of #27 so you can estimate when it will be worked on? Versus being #25, knowing you are moving toward completion. Or am I missing where you can already do that?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2020

I think you might be talking more about columns instead of swimlanes. But either way, the user should be able to see visually exactly where their card is in the list. Unless they know how fast cards are moved out of that lane on average, it does them no good to know how far down they are until they get close to the top. 

Yes, in a column. They know how quickly things typically move out of that lane, this is more for someone who doesn't necessarily love Kanban boards and is old-school, trying to figure out for him how to track without having to count each individual since he manages so much at once. Thanks!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2020

I don't know of a way to "count" those other than create some additional statuses and move them to different columns so that any one column doesn't have more than say 10 in it. 

Thanks for your help!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2020

I don't feel like I was much help, haha. But I didn't have any better news for you either. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events