Jira server becomes unresponsive time after time

Robert Han November 28, 2018

Hi,

We have a Jira instance with a 100 user license, and we already used 99 of the quota. 

Recently, this instance becomes unresponsive after every several days. I used to think this might relate to database connection pool setting, so I've changed the original 20 to 25.

However, the Jira instance became unresponsive again yesterday, I had to restart the Jira service to get it working again. I've checked the Database Monitoring, the connection climax only reaches at 15, so I assume this crash didn't have anything to do with db connection pool.

I've done some log analysis( atlassian-jira.log) too, the only outstanding error might be related to this is about IO broken pipe, but I think this is a common exception in Jira 7 too? 

I am a bit clueless at this moment on where to debug, I personally think this might relate to JVM parameter setting in Tomcat. Any suggestion would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Parvez Misarwala November 28, 2018

I think the first thing you should check is the memory allocated to JVM. Check the JVM Max and Min and the heap memory allocated to JVM and try increasing it. Also check if antivirus is running or scanning the Jira folders. if yes, do not let antivirus scan jira folders.. Btw.. if you see the log, and  you see out of memory error, then JVM memory needs to be increased. You can check the JVM health status in Jira system configuration

Suggest an answer