We have a Jira instance with a 100 user license, and we already used 99 of the quota.
Recently, this instance becomes unresponsive after every several days. I used to think this might relate to database connection pool setting, so I've changed the original 20 to 25.
However, the Jira instance became unresponsive again yesterday, I had to restart the Jira service to get it working again. I've checked the Database Monitoring, the connection climax only reaches at 15, so I assume this crash didn't have anything to do with db connection pool.
I've done some log analysis( atlassian-jira.log) too, the only outstanding error might be related to this is about IO broken pipe, but I think this is a common exception in Jira 7 too?
I am a bit clueless at this moment on where to debug, I personally think this might relate to JVM parameter setting in Tomcat. Any suggestion would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!
I think the first thing you should check is the memory allocated to JVM. Check the JVM Max and Min and the heap memory allocated to JVM and try increasing it. Also check if antivirus is running or scanning the Jira folders. if yes, do not let antivirus scan jira folders.. Btw.. if you see the log, and you see out of memory error, then JVM memory needs to be increased. You can check the JVM health status in Jira system configuration
I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events