Jira groups

Corinna Führing November 30, 2015

Hello, i have a JIRA System with like 5 diferent projects Now i get confused because so many people create their own groups in the projects and i think maybe there is a way to make handling of different groups and project roles very clear in JIRA User management. 1 question: Every new user is assigned as JIRA user (Group). So why are there administrator groups, Teamled groups etc for diferent users as well ? Did we create it, or are they automatically created if a project role with name Administrators, or Teamleaders, is created ?

Is there a good way to handel user management when diferent projects are created in Jira, so it s easy and clear ? Some kind of useful rule ?? Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2015

JIRA ships with three groups by default - users, developers and administrators, but your administrators can (and almost always should) add more groups.  If you have other groups, then yes, you have added them.  Note that only admins do this, and it's not "create your own groups in a project", groups are independent of projects, they're global objects, and all they do is group users together.

Roles are different - they are a good way to allow project owners to maintain their own users. A role is still global, but you put users and groups in roles in projects - so adding "JIRA developers" and "Dave" to the role "developers" in project A, has no effect on project B.

As a simple rule, keep your groups wide and clear (admins, users, business units, customers etc) and then let the project admins handle their own user bases in the projects.

Do NOT create groups for each project - if you do that, your administrators will be landed with maintaining it for every project.  It is far better to leave that part of it to the users - use roles.

Corinna Führing November 30, 2015

so would it be senseful to create a group for each Project Role as well ? or is it enogh to have just one group let s say JIRA users and than having the diferent Project Roles?

Corinna Führing December 9, 2015

Thanks for the answer. Just one question. Why should i create groups in Jira. If later in my projects I add single users to my Project Roles. As example i have diferent Teams in a Company. But depending on the Project diferent members of the Team work on a Project. So it s not necessary to create a group Team A for example, if later not all the members of the Team A work on one project , but just few of them. So what use could there be to create the group Team A , independent of the Project ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2015

I pretty much said before that you probably want to avoid groups for most purposes. But you do need some of them - you need groups for * Administrators * Normal users logging in * Control of bulk-edit * Who can see user lists * Some reporting (especially on who is on a specific team. If that's useful to you)

Suggest an answer