Jira filter for resolution = Unresolved does not include all issues.

Paul Brand January 15, 2019

There is a difference in the following two filters:

resolution = "\"Unresolved\""

and:

resolution = Unresolved

The first only finds the issues where the resolution is specifically set to "Unresolved".

In the database these jira issues have "11000" in the resolution field, which is the id of the Unresolved resolution in the resolution table. 

The second finds the issues that are newly created where the resolution field is untouched.

In the database these issues have "NULL" in the resolution field. Unresolved is then  selected because its default.

I would expect to find all the issues with the second filter.

Am i doing something wrong?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Thomas,

I did not know it was custom. The table for resolutions in the database contains "Unresolved" with id 11000. I guess this should not be there than right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2019

Correct - this is breaking your system because it means "resolved".  Jira does not know or care what any resolution option's label is, the rule is "field empty/null = unresolved, field with any value = resolved"

I would first change the name of "unresolved" to "broken resolution - do not use", that will fix your searching, and give you an easy way to spot issues that might be broken.

Then go through your screens, making sure that only "transition" screens include resolution, and those are only used on transitions that go from an open status to a closed one (usually not-green colour to green), and also check that "reopen" uses a post function that says "clear resolution"

Finally, you will want to have a look at the list of issues with the broken resolution - any that are in a non-closed status should really be fixed, blanking out the resolution.

Thanks, i'll accept this answer.

0 votes
Leo
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2019

Hi @Paul Brand,

Yes, the second query is fine to fetch all OPEN issues (Resolution value is NULL)

I guess in your server, "Unresolved" has been created as resolution value like "Done or Fixed"

and that might be the reason for this confusion 

-Leo

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2019

Hi @Paul Brand,

Have you ever tried the following JQL?

resolution is EMPTY

Yes. This also does not include the issues where the resolution field is "11000" in the database

0 votes
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2019

Dear @Paul Brand,

I repeated your search queries. The first filter returned

The value '"Unresolved"' does not exist for the field 'resolution'.

Searching with either

resolution = "Unresolved"

or

resolution = Unresolved

returns the same amount of issues. Is it possible, that you Jira has a custom resolution named Unresolved?

So long

Thomas

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2019

Dear @Paul Brand,

Jira replaces a resolution of NULL (resolution is EMPTY) with the word Unresolved. Of cause you can create a custom resolution named same, but it really does not make sense.

So long

Thomas

I understand. It was not me who created it ;)

Thanks,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events