Jira automation convert a task to a sub task and link it to a specific issue number

Jira BesRoute February 6, 2020

Is it possible in jira automation to convert a task to a sub task and linked it to a specifique task # ?  If so , how to do it ? 

2 answers

1 vote
Sion Dinh April 22, 2022

I found this thread looking for answers, adding my workaround to help others searching for answers too!

- Move is not available in automation

- Instead you can clone the story/task

- Set issue type to subtask, copying all the original details

- Set the desired parent issue

- Delete the original story

Looks like the attached pic, hope this helps!

2022-04-22_09-49-51.jpg

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2020

Convert to a subtask is basically a "move issue" operation. Due to various complexities around moving issues, most of the automation suites don't seem to support it. Its not exposed in the rest API for example.

The closest that people seem to come to is creating a new issue that is a subtask with the data from the original issue, the deleting the issue. But as you can imagine there is some complexity with this as well.

Jira BesRoute February 7, 2020

If I move the issue, I think I can do that, how can I link this issue to a specific issue # ? 

Thanks

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2020

Manually via the web interface. Under the "more" menu

There is a convert to subtask option that will ask you what issue you want to be a subtask of.

As I said, there isn't automation for move or convert to subtask. Has to be done via the web interface

Jira BesRoute February 7, 2020

ok, thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events