Jira User/Group with LDAP

Haipeng_Jin July 19, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Connecting to an LDAP directory

I have successfully connected JIRA Server to a backend LDAP server. I allowed read/write operation to the LDAP database through JIRA.

Under Jira's web interface (User management), I am able to create a new user and the new user is correctly added into the LDAP directory as well. This is done by selecting LDAP directory at the new user creation time.

However, the user's group is not automatically updated in the LDAP, for example, by default, all new users are added to the jira-software-user group which I have a corresponding group in LDAP. Neither the "member" of the LDAP group nor the "memberof" attribute of the LDAP user account was updated.

Can the group membership update to LDAP be done automatically? If yes, how?

1 answer

0 votes
mlassau_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2016

My understanding is that this should work.
Did you look in the log file for error messages?

It could be a configuration problem.
Have you successfully dowloaded groups and memberships from the LDAP server into JIRA?
If both of those work fine, then I would raise a support ticket.
If they don't work, then perhaps you configured the wrong LDAP type, or your LDAP server has custom configuration and you need to tweak the advanced settings. 

Haipeng_Jin July 24, 2016

Mark, thanks for the reply. I actually am able to download all the LDAP group and membership information successfully from Jira. It all works very well for log-in and permission controls. 

The only thing missing is that the group info is not pushed back to LDAP when user is created from JIRA.

Haipeng_Jin July 25, 2016

Hi, Mark,

One more thing, For the log, could you please give more pointers on what to look for in the log? I checked the Atlassian logs, but were not able to find anything specific on this error.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events