Jira Service stops running randomly.

Irving Rodriguez September 20, 2016

Hello, Im hoping someone here can help me with my JIRA server issue. My Jira service just stops running after a while. For no reason that is clear to me. I usually have to go into my server and then run the command 

$ ./jira start

after the command runs, everything is good for about 24hrs until the service stops again. I cant seem to find out what the issue is. Has anyone had anything similar with their server? Is there a shutdown script or something that i am unaware of? Any help would be great, i am running this on an AWS linux server. 

4 answers

0 votes
Parthiban Subramaniam September 21, 2016

Could happen because of numerous reasons

JAVA has crashed, Look out for crash dump's created by Java usually created on the TOMCAT_HOME folder

Some info that could help is provided here

OOM Killed your process

If there is a pattern look out for anything that is scheduled in the EC2 application maintenance modules that can stop the server. I have never worked on those EC2 servers so cant be of any help there.

Enjoy 

0 votes
mngangom September 21, 2016

Please raise a ticket with Atlassian with the logs

<JIRA_Home>/log and 

<JIRA_Installation>/logs

0 votes
noamdah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2016

Yes, i have encountered the same issue with any EC2 instances module under t2.medium.

Create an AMI of the instance and from that AMI generate an instance for your JIRA with the model size at least t2.medium.

0 votes
Siddheshwar mhetre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2016

Hi,

Is there any other application is running on same server?

Please check the error in log file,

Also I had face similar issue, but by increasing the JVM memory the issue got resolved.

Regards,

Siddheshwar

Hi there, nothing else is running on the server. What should i look for in the error log?

Siddheshwar mhetre
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2016

OK. you can find the log file on below location

<JIRA-HOME>/application-data/logs/atlassian-jira.log

Also I suggest to increase the JVM memory.

i increased the JVM but i'm not sure thats the issue. What's a good amount i should have allocated? Im not using this server for anything crazy. Its just for learning purposes so theres only 1 test kanban board on there.

Siddheshwar mhetre
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2016

OK please try to find out the log error, so that we can go deep into that.

Irving Rodriguez September 21, 2016

I found the error log, but it is quite long, do i just copy and paste it here?

Siddheshwar mhetre
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2016

can you mail this on below email id?

siddheshwar.mhetre@equestind.com

Suggest an answer