Jira Home Permission Checks with new Application Server build

Dave.Ainslie@gbgplc.com August 24, 2020

I am having issues with running an unattended installation of Jira. Everytime I rebuild a new application server with an existing application-data repository, the installation want to change ownership and permissions on the application-data folder and its sub folder. Is there an option to bypass this check?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2020

No, the installers do this check because you should have the directories owned by the user who will be running Jira, and if it's not right, Jira may fail.

Dave.Ainslie@gbgplc.com August 24, 2020

Thanks for the reply. So how would I be able to scale Jira in a timely manner? Currently, the chown and chmod jobs take over 30mins to complete before the installation finishes. By the time an additional app server completes its build, the demand may have passed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2020

I'm curious as to why it takes 30 minutes to change the permissions.

Do you have a huge amount of attachments in the system?  Millions?

Dave.Ainslie@gbgplc.com August 26, 2020

We have 10000s of attachments.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2020

I've just changed permissions on a whole Jira system excluding attachments in less than 10 seconds.  The attachments (around 60 thousand) took less than a minute.  I have some concerns about your file systems if it's taking 30 minutes to do a simple chown.

Suggest an answer