Jira Core expires

Perry Santos June 25, 2020

Hey guys

We have installed  Jira Software on a new server and when i entered our jira Software license we get the message that Jira Core has expired.
My questions are, is Jira Core required to run Jira Software? Do we need a license of Jira Core and if not then how do we remove the alert message of Jira Core being expired?

Thanks

Perry

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2020

Jira Core is effectively a Jira framework.  You cannot run Software without it.  Core provides stuff like issues, projects, users, app frameworks, workflows, fields, screens, the UI, and and and.

Software has to run on that platform to be of any use, as Software doesn't have most of that itself.

However.  This is quite well buried in the docs; every licenced user of Software automatically gets licenced for the Core usage required to run Software.

So, technically, yes, you need Core in order to have somewhere to run Software.  But you do not need any licences for Core.  If you've got 250 Software users, they've all got implied Core licences.

This however, does mess up the licence check, so it will continue to warn you about it.  One thing you could try, although I have not tested this - go to the licence management, take a copy of the licence key for Core, and then blank it out.  I think this will stop it doing licence checks on the Core completely.  But Software will continue to work because of the implied licences.

Suggest an answer