Jira Backlog page is unable to load and after some times it throws Error Timeout massage

Prashant Mali May 31, 2016

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2016

A timeout may be implying that you simply have too large a backlog for your server to cope with.

Could you tell us what the board filter is (in plain text, don't give us screenshots, just copy and paste the text and feel free to change any names that you don't want to tell us).  We're looking to see how big the filter might be.

Or, try changing it to include a smaller range and see if the timeout problem goes away.   Add something like "and created > -7d" to it temporarily to shorten the list.

Prashant Mali June 1, 2016

Hi 

One more important question is that in my organization around 80 users are working concurrently. and 30000 issues are there and it growing fast from few days.

So users facing some performance issue. They want more response time. I already increase JVM memory upto 4 gb. now from that only 1gb memory is used by JIRA. Code cache memory and Metaspace memory is almost full  so what is exact problem behind this issue. Tell me the solution.

Thanks Nic

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2016

Scaling JIRA is a totally different question (all I'd say there is "throwing memory at it randomly is not a good answer").  30,000 issues is still a "small" installation in my experience though - I'd have a look at the "growing fast" bit first and get an estimate on the rate of growth - how many issues do you expect to hit by year end 2016 and 2017 for example.

Anyway, back to the question.  A couple of follow ups:

• If you run that filter in the issue navigator, how many issues does it say it returns?
  • Does it work faster/better if you remove the "and sprint in" clause?  (That's not needed for the backlog or working views of a scrum board, it's just adding more unneccessary processing)

It returns 45 issues in one sprint. Not much difference in processing speed.

Is it a solution to increase error timeout session time from 30000 mili second  to more

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

Ok, was that with or without the "and sprint in" clause?

with "and sprint in"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

Ok, what do you get if you remove the clause?

In the navigator (just to see numbers) and on the board (to see if it's faster)

If I remove the clause. Its showing loading on the board

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

What numbers did it come back with on the navigator?  Was it still 45?

What does "showing loading on the board" mean?  It's showing your issues loading?  Or it's just churning and will timeout?

It was still 45. and after removing clause its just churning.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

45 issues returned by "project = x" should render almost instantly.

I'm afraid you're going to need to do some deep analysis on what exactly is wrong with your system.

Are there other places where you get very slow or timed-out page loads?

You'll need to check the front-end - start by using something like firebug or developer tools to work out which parts of the backlog view are taking time to render.

You should probably check the network, although that's easy - is all the system slow or just specific screens?  If it's just certain screens, it's not your network.

You definitely need to check the back end - is the server overloaded?  What does the log say when you try to render the backlog?  Can you get a thread-trace?

Actually, I wanted to show huge data on Backlog JIRA page (around 26000) issues on that page. so Is it possible? Currently It failed to show. Its getting loading...only.

So please help me.

Is it proble of JIRA or Database(postgresql).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

If you can't render 45 issues, 26k is not going to happen.  Plus it's a silly number that your humans won't be able to cope with either - you need to break it down into sane sized boards.

So, you need to go back and do the analysis on what the server and client are doing, to work out why they're slow.

Thanks a lot for your valuable guidence

1 vote
Yogesh Mude[Jira]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2016

Hi @Sachin Waghmode,

please look on this page. might be it helps you to resolve this.

thanks

0 votes
Prashant Mali May 31, 2016

Plz help me asap

Suggest an answer