It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JQL to get Epics in Backlog state but its children are in active state not Backlog

I want to extract all Epics which are not started yet ( in Backlog state) but its children are in active state (Other than backlog).

i have using following JQL
issuetype = epic and status = Backlog and not (issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("has Epic", "status!=Backlog"))

but it returns me strage results

all stories with backlog status and 

all epics have no child

anyone can correct me here what i'm doing wrong here

1 answer

0 votes
Wade Tracy Community Leader Apr 19, 2019

I think this should work:

issueFunction in epicsOf("status != Backlog") AND status = Backlog 

Get all epics with children having a status other than Backlog and then narrow down that list to just the epics having a status of Backlog.

Hi @Wade Tracy 

You are very close to solution,

this JQL not returns  100% results

Problem is this JQL not returns all children in backlog (some of them are in backlog and some are in Done state)

Can you please modify it please to get all children not in Backlog?

Wade Tracy Community Leader Apr 20, 2019

I'm not sure I understand 100%.  Let me ask a few questions:

1. Do you want the query to only return epics? or epics and their children?
  2. Do you want epics that have ANY children in statuses other than backlog? Or do you want epics that have ALL children in statuses other than backlog?

I'm hoping you want only epics and just the epics where ALL their children and not in the backlog.  Here is the query:

issuetype = epic AND issueFunction not in epicsOf("status = Backlog") AND status = Backlog

If you are looking for something else, tweak it as needed or let me know.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

863 views 7 0
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you