JQL status changed by a group member

Rosa M Fossi August 26, 2020

Hello Community,

I'm trying to query all of the tickets transitioned today INTO "Technical Review" by members for group "it-security"

This query does not work:

project = "Client Support" and created > startOfDay() AND status changed TO "Technical Review" AND status changed BY membersOf("it-security")

If I remove the last portion:

AND status changed BY membersOf("it-security")

The JQL does resolve with a list of tickets transitioned today into "Technical Review".   

I assumed that the membersOf would work since I'm able to query when status changed by a specific user (id has been changed to protect the innocent) like so:

project = "Client Support" and created > startOfDay() AND status changed TO "Technical Review" AND status changed BY "44444:88jea999-999f-7gh0-g7g7-6g5555sed55"

edit:  The error received is A value provided by the function 'membersOf' is invalid for the field 'status'.

3 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Dino Dahlin October 14, 2020

I just had an issue where I wanted to see the the issues claimed fixed by a certain user group

I would suggest trying this

Your line:

status changed BY membersOf("it-security")

This change Adding a bracket around membersOf() worked for me now: 

status changed BY (membersof("it-security"))

I hope this helps you! 

Erik Hess March 22, 2021

This worked for me, thanks for suggesting!

Like Rosa M Fossi likes this
Rosa M Fossi March 23, 2021

I missed this post from October by Dino!     

I wanted to chime in and mention that this JQL does resolve:

project = "Client Support" and created > startOfMonth() AND status changed TO "Technical Review" AND status changed BY (membersof("it-security"))
0 votes
Sramanth Pandeti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2020

@Rosa M Fossi  what I see from the Official JQL documentation (https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/advanced-search-reference-jql-operators/#WAS) is that You can only have "Username" predicate after BY. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 3.50.44 PM.png.

and the supported fields of membersof() function are Assignee, Reporter, Voter, Watcher, custom fields of type User. 

E.g. assignee in membersOf("it-security")

I'm not sure if the below query works for you.

project = "Client Support" and created > startOfWeek() AND status changed TO "Technical Review" AND assignee in membersOf("it-security")
Erik Hess September 25, 2020

I'm reasonably certain this worked in the past, as I have multiple queries that worked before that I built years ago. Mine are broken now, and found this when searching for help. The only difference of my query to Rosa's was I did not use double quotes around the group, e.g., membersOf(it-security).

I see the JQL docs don't mention this, so I don't know if the docs changed, or if this was unintended functionality that worked in the past. Frustrated as I'm certain undocumented functionality would not be high on Atlassian's list to fix. :-(

Like Vignesh Arunachalam likes this
Rosa M Fossi September 30, 2020

Sorry to hear your JQLs broke Erik!    I tried without the double quotes (just in case!) but it doesn't resolve.  As the official documentation Sramanth linked it's not listed valid.  

My guess is that at some point using the "membersOf" function was edited to only accept userID. 

0 votes
Amanda Kirk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2020

The syntax would be

status changed to "Technical Review" BY membersOf("administrators")

Rosa M Fossi August 27, 2020

Thanks for your response @Amanda Kirk 

Unfortunately, that did not work.  The same error appeared. I even tried simplifying the query a bit just to get it work, but same result.

project = "Client Support" and created > startOfWeek() AND status changed BY membersOf("it-security")

jql-membersOf.png

The error seems to imply that the query is checking the membersOf input against status itself.    ¯\_(⊙︿⊙)_/¯ 

Amanda Kirk
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2020
project = "Client Support" and created > startOfWeek() AND status changed TO "Technical Review" BY membersOf("it-security")

Can you tell me if the above works?

Rosa M Fossi August 27, 2020

Thanks for your willingness to help!   Sadly the same error    ಠ_ಠ

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events