JQL "assignee was in membersOf() on" doesn't work like expected

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2016

Hi,

I have the following JQL:

createdDate >= 2016-05-01 AND createdDate < 2016-06-01 
AND assignee WAS IN membersOf("Support") ON 2016-06-06

The search doesn't return any issues.

If I run the search without the ON part

createdDate >= 2016-05-01 AND createdDate < 2016-06-01 
AND assignee WAS IN membersOf("Support")

The search returns several issues where at least one of them had an assignee of the group Support at the date 2016-06-06.

Did I miss something about the ON functionality? I think 

assignee WAS IN membersOf("Support") ON 2016-06-06

means "all issues where the assignee was someone from the group Support on 6th of June 2016".

Our JIRA is a Server 6.4.12

Thanks,

Henning

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2016

"WAS" only supports a few functions, membersOf is not one of them - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/advanced-searching-functions-reference-764478342.html#Advancedsearching-functionsreference-membersOfmembersOf()

Actually I don't see that what I said above is relevant, although obviously membersOf would return the members of the group "now", rather than on the date, but I guess you are aware of that.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2016

That's right. What it is a little bit weird is the fact that I've been able to use it successfully; despite of the red cross being shown, the correct list of issues seems to be retrieved...

Like Alibek Malikov likes this
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2016

Mmh. assignee WAS IN membersOf("Support") works like expected, only if I add the "ON" part nothing is returned.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2016

Maybe it's working because it's  recognized as "assigne was" (allowed)  and "in membersOf()" (allowed).

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2016

Ok, I tested the same query with a list of users instead of membersOf() and this works.

Like Pedro Vera likes this
1 vote
David Jansson July 7, 2017

Just ran into the same problem.

I noticed that "assignee was in..." only works if all users in the set has had an issue assigned to them at some point. membersOf or just a long list of users doesn't factor in.

I suspect that the new member in your "Support" group got an issue assigned to her while the problem was discussed.

Mash Huang June 3, 2019

It works. Thanks for your suggestion.

1 vote
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2016

mmm... that's strange. I'm getting the following error message:

"A value provided by the function 'membersOf' is invalid for the field 'assignee'."

I confirm I've used a valid value (an existing group name).

Googling it, I've found this response.

In a nutshell, it is not working because your group Support contains at least one inactive member.

May you try again after removing all inactive users from the Support group?

Hope it helps.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2016

I think the answer you've found corresponds to another problem. I don't get any error messages, there are simply no issues found if I add the "ON" part.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2016

I tested the same query with a list of users including an inactive user and this works, too. So Jamie seems to be right.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2016

Yeah, IN (user1, user2,...,userN) works.

There are some groups with a lot of members where that approach might not be so handy, though.

Glad you have worked around it in a good enough way smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events