JIra is slow some times or not responding can you please provide the reason?

ravikiranreddy May 17, 2016

Hi Team,

This is kiran,Iam supporting JIRA in back end middle ware windows environment. some times it was going to slow or not responding .On that time we restarting the server .Can you please provide the permanent solution and provide any reason regarding this?

thanks in advance

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2016

There are loads of things it could be.  We can't just fix it without knowing what the problem is.

You will need to monitor and investigate.  Is it running slow at specific times or randomly?  Is the server sized correctly for the number of users and volume of issues?  Is there a virus scanner hitting it?  Is the slowness happening because the CPU is maxxed out, or the memory struggling?  Is it thrashing the disks?  Are there any errors in your logs?  What have you customised? What add-ons are you using? 

Most of this usually does come back to "what are your users doing that slows it down?", and a valid answer can range from  "trying to use it on inadequate hardware" to "massive downloads it's not built for/hundreds of external connections". 

But, you need to do the analysis before you can work out an approach.

ravikiranreddy May 17, 2016

On that time I checked the services it is taking more CPU and Memory.On that time I took the Dump later it was fine with 5 to 10 Mint. then same JIRA was slow.I saw the logs I Didn't find any errors.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2016

Ok, good on the  logs.  Now you need to look at what is causing the CPU and memory to be thrashed.  What are your users doing?  Are there lots of them doing something at the same time?  Is there something else on the machine that may be drawing resources?  Can you get a thread dump to see what the internals of JIRA are doing while it's running slowly?

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2016
0 votes
Arun_Thundyill_Saseendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2016

A deeper analysis is required. It is not possible to drill down to the reason of the slowness with such minimal information.

Suggest an answer