JIRA workflows: Changing default Status names

Randy_Elias March 12, 2017

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and would like to get clarification on how JIRA workflow status' work.

If I add a new workflow from scratch, I start with an OPEN status and Create transition. If I double-click the OPEN status and change the name to something like RECEIVED DOC, will this change all references (in other workflows (active/inactive) of OPEN status to RECEIVED DOC? This is the behaviour I'm seeing. Can someone explain how status' are designed?

I understand there is an ID and Name associated with each status. Changing the Name will change the name of all status' with the same ID. If this is the case, I take it the best practice would be to create new status' for ALL status' in your workflow, including OPEN, if you want to change it. Then replace the OPEN status block with the new status block.

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,

Randy

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2017

Hi Randy and welcome I'm quite new also. Lucky you noticed this has big impact early. Many admins run into this during their tenure. So as you already have realised change the status name in the workflow will change for all others sharing it.

So yes create new statuses if needed. You can then modify the workflow.

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 13.12.20.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 13.12.47.png

I would recommend you not to use to specific statuses since it tend to increase quickly and will impact performance but also administration. Maybe it's better to come to terms with the users that the issue "Document" in status "New/Open" is a "RECEIVED DOC".

There is some documentation upon Atlassians view on how to work with statuses. Take some times and reflect on that look at it long term.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/working-with-workflows-776636540.html

Br, Niclas

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2017

Can just add when have many generic statuses up and running in many project you might need to copy it to be able to perform all operations so its inactive and then implement a new version into the project. But also this enables you less admin when you have a lot of generic ones setup already when new projects come knocking on the door.

Randy_Elias March 13, 2017

Thank-you kindly Niclas!

The workflow we're implementing will need quite a few new status' as it's very unique and the existing default status' are too broadly named. We will certainly keep an eye on performance as we roll this out.

Thanks again!

Randy

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2017

No problem Randy if you feel my answer address your question please accept it. Good luck with your process modelling! smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events