JIRA upgrade on our own server

Tried to upgrade JIRA recently on our Win Server 2012 VM (db = SQL Server 2008) from v6.4.12 to v7.05, and then after that failed miserably, to v7.09.  Attempts to contact Atlassian support since at least last week have also failed miserably.  Launching after the upgrade redirects to a long error message like this:

java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraAuthenticationContext.getLoggedInUser()Lcom/atlassian/crowd/embedded/api/User;

...followed by about 200 lines of error details.  Can anyone help?

9 answers

Upgraded Confluence at the same time, from v5.8.13 to v5.9.4 – that upgrade (on the same server but different port) was uneventful.  At this point, I'd be happy to return to the last working version of JIRA (v6.4.12)...

Hi John - not sure if this helps but we are facing the same issue (from 6.2.2 to 7.0.9 though).

Vikas, did you ever get anyone from Atlassian to help?  I've been trying for a week now...

No. In fairness, I just opened the ticket yesterday and I guess they are in Australia. 

I have still not heard a peep out of Atlassian.  I even contacted their sales people, hoping they would rattle some cages.  Has anyone been able to get through to JIRA support?

I got a response back and it seems I needed to disable all the Pluging (Compatibility check). After that happened, at least it (upgrade) works. However, at the end of the upgrade, I have lost all the data so we are in the process of backing out and retrying.

Any progress?  I still haven't heard anything from Atlassian.  Not sure how to rattle their cage at this point...

Every time I try to create a support ticket, I get a message telling me the site is down.  Has Atlassian gone under?  (I know they're "down under" but this is getting ridiculous!)

We restored the VM back to an earlier version (with JIRA working at v6.4.12), then tried the upgrade to version 7.1.  No errors, but no page, either.  Support site is still down, even though Atlassian is spamming me about their wunnerful JIRA upgrade.  Restarting VM to see if that makes any difference.  It did not...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Feb 15, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

1,086 views 6 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot