JIRA licensing and upgrades

Bryan Collick March 1, 2016

We self-host JIRA 6.2 + Agile. We've hit our JIRA seat license of 100 users. We've upgraded our license and now seem to need to upgrade JIRA Agile as well. Is this so?

• Is it not possible to use JIRA software at 250 seats and JIRA agile at 100 seats? We have non-eng members of the company who file tickets but do not operate using agile practices.
  • If we move our setup to a new server, I've read here that we can transfer our license. Can we confirm?
  • If we update to JIRA 7.0, will we need to pay for additional licensing–either for JIRA or JIRA agile?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2016

Hello,

All jira licenses have converted to jira software, that means you don't need to buy a new jira agile license. 

You can transfer your license. 

Jira 7 means jira software so third question is same as first question.

Bryan Collick March 1, 2016

Elifcan, thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the first answer is true: I'm looking at the JIRA Aglie plugin in admin and it clearly states "Upgrade this add-on license ($4000) to match your 250-user JIRA license."

$4k in addition to the cost of the JIRA software seat expansion is not very cool.

I'm hopeful your second answer is correct and that I can get some confirmation on the third question.

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2016

Hi,

In the migration hub page it says: "If you renew your license after JIRA Software is released, you'll automatically be given a JIRA Software license (not a JIRA license). Your JIRA Software license will work with both JIRA and JIRA Agile. (In other words, you can paste the JIRA Software license into the license box for JIRA Agile if needed)."

Here you can check it out in the link below (in the How JIRA Software Licenses Work part):

https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7/server_jira+agile_license-upgrade

So you should be able to use Agile too without any other purchase. Because now you can't renew or upgrade Agile licenses because it is included in JIRA software.

Did you try to click on the link that says "upgrade your add-on license"? It should not be working now.

Bryan Collick March 14, 2016

Hi Elifcan,

We were able to get in touch with Atlassian and it was a bug on their end. We were able to upgrade, transferring our license, and we weren't required to buy a new JIRA agile license. You were right! Thanks.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2016
  • Is it not possible to use JIRA software at 250 seats and JIRA agile at 100 seats? We have non-eng members of the company who file tickets but do not operate using agile practices.

No, you can't even use them together. 

In JIRA 6, you have JIRA + Agile, and both systems must be licenced for 250 users - the Agile add-on numbers must match the JIRA numbers.

In JIRA 7, Agile goes away and is replaced with JIRA Software, which is an application you can add to Core (or, better download bundled with Core) . At this point, you can separate them out - you can licence JIRA Core for 250 people, and then JIRA Software for 100 users.  However, the 100 Software users also get access to Core, so you'll end up with 350 users of Core! 

• If we move our setup to a new server, I've read here that we can transfer our license. Can we confirm?

Yes, you can definitely do that.

• If we update to JIRA 7.0, will we need to pay for additional licensing–either for JIRA or JIRA agile?

No.  The costs change a bit in some bands, but you don't pay more for the licence.  Although you won't be paying for Agile any more, it will be Software.  As Core and Software can be licenced separately now, you could end up paying less overall (especially if you could go for 100 Core + 100 Software licences maybe?)

Suggest an answer