JIRA issue title formatting

Arturas Rimkus March 7, 2016

Is it possible to apply text formatting (bold, italics) to JIRA issue title field? Is it perhaps possible to do it with a custom plug-in? I'm talking about bolding selected words in the title.

2 answers

4 votes
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2016

Hi @Arturas Rimkus,

Actually you can do it by adding the following in the announcement banner. This script changes the font, set it as bold and italic. You can change it as you like.

<script type="text/javascript">

(function($){ jQuery(document).ready(function($){

document.getElementById("summary-val").style.fontFamily = "'Times New Roman', Times, serif";
document.getElementById("summary-val").style.fontWeight = "900";
document.getElementById("summary-val").style.fontStyle = "italic";
$(function(){

});

}); })(jQuery);
(AJS.$);
</script>

Hi Georges. Do I understand correctly that this would only work if I'm displaying the issue summary within the confines of the announcement banner? My ultimate goal is to format the issue titles in the Backlog.

Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2016

Hi @Arturas Rimkus,

Unfortunately no text field can have different formatting in the database.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2016

That trick is only going to format the summary in places where it is exposed in a style tagged as the summary-val - it'll happen in some places but not all of them (because it's wrapped in different tags in some places) and it's not formatting part of the summary, it's the whole string.

A couple of questions. (1) Would an announcement banner need to be displayed on the page if I wanted to run this script? (2) This script finds element by id and styles it. Can I also search for a specific string in issue titles and then apply the bold style to it if I find it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2016

1) No, you don't have to put anything in the banner that is visible to the user.  The banner in JIRA is always there, but when it's empty, there's nothing for the browser to do, so nothing really appears.  If you put a script in it, then it'll run the script, not display it (assuming the tags are right, so the browser knows to run it.  You should be able to literally paste in Georges' script as it's spot on)

2) I'm out of my depth with javascript there, as I tend to avoid it.  I am pretty sure you can do it, but the script and output could be quite complex.  You'll need to be transforming something like "We like kittens" into "We <tags to separate words> like <more tags> kittens" and set the surrounding style and the style inside the tags.

Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2016

Hi @Arturas Rimkus,

1)Nothing will be displayed in the announcement banner.

2)I am not a Javascript expert so I don't know if you can apply a styling to a string. But I doubt it could be done.

Arturas Rimkus March 8, 2016

Thank you both, you gave me a good starting point, I will investigate further.

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2016

No, the summary is a plain text field, it has no rendering capabilities.

Suggest an answer